What would you do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godins Chinchillas

Godin's Chinchillas
For pet owners-

If you bought chins from a breeder and could no longer care for them because of allergies-or what ever reason. Would you expect the breeder refund you the entire amount you bought them for-why or why not?

For breeders-

Would you refund them full purchase price our would you deduct the nonrefundable deposit? Why or why not?

Jessica

I personally wouldn't expect any money back...as a pet owner. People who suffer from allergies have a pretty good idea what they can and cannot be around. Why should the breeder be responsible for that?

Now if I was a breeder and was faced with this situation, I might refund partially...depending on how long the person had the chinchilla for. I have never purchased an animal with the option of refund.

Had I bought an animal from a breeder and had to return I would never expect any money for either the chins or their supplies/cages. I think if a breeder was willing to take them back and find them a home I wouldn't even think twice about it.

The same thing if I had to rehome my chins to anyone on the forum. I wouldn't expect a dime for either the chins or supplies. They would go with everything "they" own.

If I was a breeder I wouldn't refund anything. I would probably lay that out in the beginning that I would always take an chin back but no refunds.

No, I wouldn't expect any money back as a pet owner. I mean, it's not your fault they need to be returned, it's not like the chin is sick or anything.

I have only had one person ask me to buy back a chin. When I emailed inquiring as to why (what could I do better) and give me a call, they never contacted me back. Pretty good for 10 years of chin peddling.

I tell people that if for any reason they no longer want their chin I will list the chin on my website and connect them with potential new owners. Haven't had anyone take me up on the offer yet.

The only cases in which I might expect the breeder to pay me back the full amount for chins I purchased would be if the breeder contacted me and asked me if they could buy the animals back, OR if the chins I purchased were ill and/or died shortly after I got them home.

If I bought an animal and then decided, "oh, I guess I have allergies", I'd have to be a lot ballsier than I actually am to go to the breeder and demand a full refund for something that was absolutely not the breeder's fault.

As a breeder, I have a no refund policy. If a chin becomes sick and/or dies and the fault can be placed on me and my facility, I will replace the chinchilla with another of equal or lesser value. No refunds and I tell everyone that walks in the door that.

I also tell them up front that if for any reason they cannot keep the chinchilla I will take it back, no questions asked but as my sale policy states, I cannot give a refund.

I have had three chinchillas returned to me. Two were a female same sex pair. They were for the mother and daughter to enjoy together and they had experience with other exotic pets. They had the chins a total of three years I believe and then the daughter was going to go to college and mom didn't want to care for ALL her animals while she was gone. The third was returned because apparently she "bites" though she never bit me before she left or after she came back. She's still one of my sweetest chins and super fatty and I couldn't be happier that I got her back. The owners of the pair never asked for a refund, but the other person hinted she wanted some money back. I flat told her she wouldn't get any money back but that the chin would get to come back to her original home and be happy. She raised the issue of money one more time when she was handing over the chin and I just repeated myself.

As a pet owner, I would not even consider asking for money back .Just the thought that my babies are going to a safe/responsible person is priceless!! I have many animals and as I have had major medical problems in the past, all of my family know what my wishes are for each and every animal I own.

As a pet owner, I wouldn't expect a refund.

I, too, would be happy that the breeder was willing to take the animal back and give/find it a good home.

As an aside, if I had allergies, in doing my research before buying a chinchilla and finding out that:

1. They have to bathe in DUST and

2. HAY is an important part of their diet and is a very allergenic item.

I would think, " :hmmm:...let's see -- do you think I might have troubles with these 2 allergens??? :duh: "

Pretty much, "Too bad, so sad" for you for getting a chin in the first place, dumba$$. Be eternally grateful that the breeder would take the chin back.

I have allergies and I have chins. You don't always know what exactly you are or will be allergic to. Allergies must be developed and that can take time. You can have no other allergies and develop one to your chins after having them a long time.

Some friends of mine have a pet rat that the mom and son both developed allergies to after a year of having him. They break out in rashes and get itchy eyes after touching him.

I wouldn't expect my money to be refunded, but there is no reason you couldn't be open to the idea of buying them back or helping them out some. They didn't know whether or not they could handle the chins.

I am allergic to the chinnie's hay. When we get a new box I have to have my BF pull it out and put it in the containers or I will have a horrible attack. I can feed the chinnies though. They are not in my bedroom, which helps minimize exposure and helps keep from developing new allergies to them.

I have had my chins less than a year. I could develop allergies to them and so could someone without other allergies. It isn't like asthma...it isn't just there or not....everyone can develop an allergy to anything at anytime.

I wouldn't be able to give up the chins no matter what, but not everyone, especially with allergic kids, can choose to live with an allergen. I have such severe outdoor allergies that I am used to suffering and a new allergen doesn't phase me.

I have had my chins less than a year. I could develop allergies to them and so could someone without other allergies. It isn't like asthma...it isn't just there or not....everyone can develop an allergy to anything at anytime.

Not picking on you, just using your quote as a springboard to another thought.

Before I got chins, I spent time at a breeder's place more than once to see how I would react. Like Lynn said, a lot of things can be addressed with very simple research.

Even if an allergy was "developed" later on, the pet owner should care enough for the chinchilla that they wouldn't be concerned about getting money back. It is not the chin's fault, nor the breeder's. Therefore...money forfieted, IMO.

I wouldn't expect my money to be refunded, but there is no reason you couldn't be open to the idea of buying them back or helping them out some. They didn't know whether or not they could handle the chins.

I don't know whether laundry soap I bought would cause an allergic reaction, but if it did I wouldn't expect a refund from Wal-Mart. I would give it to someone else or toss it. The same thing with an animal from a pet store. If a year later an allergy showed up, I guarantee the pet store wouldn't give a flying fig about it. You bought the animal, that's your problem.

I would take my chins back, but I would not pay for them. That opens the door to a buttload of excuses for dumping chins that someone no longer wants.

As a pet owner, I wouldn't expect money back. For me, if I ever had to give up ANY of my pets, it would be under such serious circumstances that having someone to take them would be a blessing rather than an obligation (on the breeders' part). If I was in such a bind for money, I might ask the breeder to take the chins and let me sell their cage and accessories, but that's all I'd ask of the breeder. On the other hand, if I got a chin and it became ill very soon after I brought it home, I might ask for money back or a replacement, but if the breeder is of any quality, I would be comfortable asking for another chin instead of the money.

Thanks everyone. I agree with about 99% of you. Although-in my stupidity I did offer her half of what she paid for them just because I did not want them to end up somewhere else. I don't know if she will take it. I know she was kinda upset when I first told her I would take them back without a refund. But I am very upset/disappointed too. I trusted this owner to provide my babies with a safe, loving, forever home and it fell through.

I put my offer out there for half of what she paid, whether she takes it or not-I don't know. However, I can easily change my mind if she waits too long. If she doesn't respond by the end of the week-well that's it. No refund but still has the option to return. I hope I don't sound callous. Money is tight right now. I can afford the animals I've got but I wasn't in the market to buy more.

I have to agree with most of you as well. I have allergies to a number of things, when I was able to see an allergist he told my mother that the only pets I would be able to have would be either a snake or a fish. When I got my little man, I knew I might have a problem, but there would be no tellin' how minor or severe. There are days when the little furry people here (cats, hampster, the chin man, the dog) send me outside gasping for air, then for the most part, there are days when it is nothing more than sneezing, ect., and then there the days when there is no reaction at all. Unless it becomes critical or if I become physically unable to give them the home that they deserve, nobody gets rehomed. I understand that I may sound just a little crazy, but that's just lol' ole me! If di did come down to that, I would feel gratitude for the breeder. I could then be a little less guilty - I would most likely offer to pay for their upkeep until they found a good permanent home. At least being with the breeder, I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not they were being cared for. But for right now, they make things like Benedryl, Cleratin, we'll do just fine! (Better living through chemistry - it's a beautiful thing! giggle)

I'm with Tanya and that if I couldn't care for my chins for some reason then I'd be more than happy to GIVE them to someone who could along with all their belongings. If you've already offered to pay back half the price then that is more than generous imo.

What really ticks me off are people who for whatever reason buy chins and then decide they don't want them... drop them off to the breeder or rescue and then proceed to advertise for sale every single friggin' item the chins came with: cage, wheel, tubes, hammocks, hay holders, food, toys, dust and water bottles etc... you get the picture. :vomit:

While I only have purchased three pets among my many one was a no refund for any reason sale. One seller said no refund and the other gave me three days to have a vet say it was sick for a refund. Neither wanted the birds back under any circumstances as lovebirds are poor sellers. Both birds were sick but it turns out that it takes longer than three days to get the lab results so proof in three days was impossible. Our sweeties are now healthy and happy.

Edgar's breeder had a much better contract that gave us time and support if he had a problem in the beginning. I actually asked if Edgar could go back if we ever needed him to due to problems on our end. She said she happily would but couldn't give a refund. As a pet person this does not matter to me since Edgar being well cared for is the only thing I want and she is more than able to do that.

For pet owners-

If you bought chins from a breeder and could no longer care for them because of allergies-or what ever reason. Would you expect the breeder refund you the entire amount you bought them for-why or why not?

No. If I had to rehome an animal I purchased from the breeder, I wouldn't expect money back; I'm the one that made a bad decision or had changes come up, not him/her.

I have a policy that if for some reason, the chin(s) did not work out within a month's time I would refund the money (minus the deposit) when I got back the chin(s). After that I would take back/want the chin(s) but give back no money. When I sell/adopt out chin(s), I try to make SURE the people know that it is a 10-15 + year committment. However as everyone know, things come up. Sometimes beyond control, most time the reasons are 'made up' However I would rather get the chin(s) back so I can find them a better home than they go to someone I might not approve of. I have to say, that I have only given back money to 2 people in 16 years. I have gotten back about 10 chins in that amount of time. Some with good reasons.

Not picking on you, just using your quote as a springboard to another thought.

Before I got chins, I spent time at a breeder's place more than once to see how I would react. Like Lynn said, a lot of things can be addressed with very simple research.

Even if an allergy was "developed" later on, the pet owner should care enough for the chinchilla that they wouldn't be concerned about getting money back. It is not the chin's fault, nor the breeder's. Therefore...money forfieted, IMO.

I am not allergic to my chins, and I've had them for 10 years. However, my now husband is. I couldn't ever have predicted that I'd marry a man with allergies. Unfortunately, his asthma/allergies have gotten really bad in the past year and he was hospitalized just last month. Although I love my chins, I love my husband more.

That said, I would NEVER expect the breeder to pay me if I gave them back to her. The only time I'd expect a refund is for a sick chin within a week or so of getting him/her.

Back