What Would You Charge?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha with me probably nothing. I'll just ask you to get all their supplies they would need, pellets, hay, chew, dust and bedding. I can't find the heart to charge to play with a chinnie for 6 months hehehe.

I calculated it out and we pay around $0.50-$0.67 per chin/per day for our neighbor to stop by twice a day to take care of the chins. So she gets $15 or $20 a day, depending on how the bank account is doing and whether she has to clean all the cages. Of course all the food and bedding and everything is always there. I think we pay her quite well, and could probably go cheaper. But we employ her a lot so she racks up a nice amount of cash for a high school student.

Yup the important question would be are you providing everything including food, or are they providing it?

The rescue I have worked with gets 5.00 a week per chin, owner supplies all food, hay, toys, bedding etc. Make sure you work out a plan in case a vet bill is needed also.

I pay my friend $100/week to watch my 4. She has to come to my place though, so there's travel involved. If she's not available, I pay my parents with their blinding cuteness. :))

If she's not available, I pay my parents with their blinding cuteness. :))

Somehow I managed to get my boyfriend's tough construction man friend to do this...also paid in cuteness! Who knew! Anyways, I've heard around $0.50/chin a day, give or take a few cents. I can't remember if feed was included though.

We pay $15/per trip to the house. Our vet tech workers come once a day while I am gone. If they come on a day I normally clean cages then I add a $15/hr to clean cages. It usually takes them about 3 hrs where it only takes me about 1.5 hrs to clean all the cages because of a system I have down.

As far as boarding. If someone wants me to hold an animal for extended period of time I charge $10 per animal per month.

I calculated it out and we pay around $0.50-$0.67 per chin/per day for our neighbor to stop by twice a day to take care of the chins. So she gets $15 or $20 a day, depending on how the bank account is doing and whether she has to clean all the cages.

Can i be your neighbor please?

If I actually followed my fee schedule for six chins for six months of boarding, I would charge $402. Normally what I end up doing is counting a cage of chins as one chin and people pay much less because I am easily manipulated or something. Still, that's less than $.40 a day per chin, which is a smoking deal for anyone since I do supply all the hay, feed, bedding, dust, toys, etc...and usually fix up the cage that the chins are in with new ledges, shelves and toys.

Anyway, my poor business practices aside - $5 a week per chin would be more than fair.

If I'm going TO someone's home, I charge between $8-$15 per visit, depending on visit length and distance from my home. If I'm boarding the pet in my home, I think I charged the last people something like $4-$7 per day (for small furry pets), but those were both fairly short stays (a couple of days each). If we were talking months, I would probably say something along the lines of $20-$50 per month, depending on the amount of care needed. I also require all supplies to come from the owner - so there is never any question of "well you gave my pet XYZ which he isn't used to and now he's sick" etc etc. I also recommend pet owners have a credit card on file with their veterinarian (or a local one) so that if I have to take an animal to the vet, there is no question who is paying and when/if I'll get reimbursement.

Having said all of that, I do this for a living so my prices/policies may not be similar to the average person taking in a neighbor/relative's pet or something, but there you have it.

back in January when i was babysitting Gery (my intro to chin-dom! lol), her owners paid me 5 dollars a day, and they supplied everything (crap food, no loose hay, ONE hay cube that was expected to last her the whole time, ugh). Gery came to my home for about 9 days. I bought her loose hay and a hammock and sent her home after her vacation here with quite the list of things her owners should and shouldn't be doing. I sure hope they took my advice.

Latest posts

Back