What to use as a dust bath container?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1858

I want something that's big enough for the chin to roll around in. Are those plastic house shape things good enough? Or should I use a big container or bowl or something? What do you guys use? Thanks :)
(I've been posting a lot of threads because I want to know everything I need to before I get my chin, which should be friday!):thumbsup:

I use one of the plastic dust bath houses. It's incredible how fast a chin has spin and how much dust they can kick up! But you don't have to buy one. You can use glass or metal bakeware, some use large jars...I'm sure others will give you ideas, but just anything that is chin safe and big enough to roll around in. I like to have my dust bath covered since so much dust gets kicked up.

I love using a large fish bowl because I can watch em :p

I've also discovered mine have a great time using one of those potted plant bottoms (those reddish orangish colored ones that go with the pots- made in the US to be sure it's free from lead). They especially like it if I freeze it so its nice and cool. It does not contain dust at all though!

A fish bowl would work great now that I think about it! And to keep it cool in the summer I was thinking about going to Lowe's and asking for like one or two large granite tiles or something of the sort

A 5 or 10-gallon fish take is great and you can have more than 1 chin rolling at a time - but if you only have 1 chin (or getting only 1) then one of those 1 gallon fist bowls work great or a 1 gallon jar. There are slanted canisters you can use as well. I've found a lot of items at Goodwill or thrift stores that work great.

Ronda

Target. Get one of those huge cheese balls containers/jars. Eat all the cheese balls. TA DA! A humongous, cheap, dust bath house. And a butt load of cheese balls in your belly.

I use a dust plastic house. hehehe i dont even bring it in the cage anymore. The moment they see it, my chins wait at the door and then its like contest to see who goes in. I LOVE it when they bathe. SOOOOOO CUTE!!

my boys confiscated my biggest metal mixing bowl for their dusting, lol. i have yet to see both in at the same time, but i believe it would fit them both if they decided not to take turns.

I have a metal house, kinds a square box with a curved top to stop (most of) the dust getting everywhere. It´s chin-friendly and great but I might switch over to an open bath though so I can see them a little better when they bathe.

I use this lovely. Then, I get a drink. ;)
It's almost 2 gallons, and both girls smoosh themselves in there.

Attachments

• pPETS-5594200t400.jpg
    pPETS-5594200t400.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 16
I use this lovely. Then, I get a drink. ;)
It's almost 2 gallons, and both girls smoosh themselves in there.
And they don't tip it over?
Where did you get it?

I use a flower bowl (like a fish bowl but w/o the flat sides). But I need to get a bigger ine because Monkey is huge and can't turn as freely as he would like in it.

Target. Get one of those huge cheese balls containers/jars. Eat all the cheese balls. TA DA! A humongous, cheap, dust bath house. And a butt load of cheese balls in your belly.

I found a giant jar of animal crackers at Costco, which I, too, ate.

Mr. Whiskers and The Snuggler like to get in at the same time, as well as separately, so this is plenty big for them!!! :thumbsup:

? if you have tile flooring or wood flooring, couldn't you just sprinkle some dust on there and let the chin roll in it that way

? if you have tile flooring or wood flooring, couldn't you just sprinkle some dust on there and let the chin roll in it that way

That sounds like a huge mess! Haha. But I suppose if you don't mind cleaning it up, I don't see why you couldn't try it.

Back