What should i change out and/or what do i need?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my chins setup.
What you probably cant see is he has a chewing stone (seems odd to me but i hear they like them) and he has a litter box on the bottom (he doesnt use it but im hopeful)
I know plastic is bad but he doesnt chew it at all but im willing to change it out i just dont know how...
What should i change and what does he need?
Please include sites and what not so i can actually find the stuff.
Also please leave links to good food sites because he is eating a not so great food and id like to get him something better

there was NO picture attached. I have plastic in one of my chins cages, but he is not a chewer...........as long as your chin isnt chewing you can leave the igloo in BUT he would probably like a wood house better.
if i had to pick the things my chins couldnt live without (besides the obvious food, water, & hay) i would choose apple wood sticks, their fleece tubes or beds or hammocks and their shredded wheat squares!

Remove the ramps and the hammock immediately. I would give a lot more toys and wooden items to chew than just that one hanging toy as well. Go through the classifieds section on the forum to find chin safe items like hammocks and chew toys. I also replace all those plastic ledges with wooden KD pine ledges. The wooden ledges are better because they offer another item for the chin to chew. I'd also replace the igloo with a wooden house.

The wheel also needs to come out and be replaced with a flying saucer or chin spin. That wheel is not chinchilla-friendly.

The best place to see how people have their cages set up and to give you tons of ideas. Go to the Ferret Nation Club under the housing section. You won't know what to get first. ;)

Thanks guys and i plan on getting a wooden house but like i mentioned before he doesnt chew...
Honestly i mainly just need sites
I wanna get a chinsaucer (I believe thats the name) but i dont know where to get it nor do i know if he would figure it out
Is my cage too small? Its like 3 feet wide 4 feet tall and 2 feet deep

I have the same cage for Shelly. Remove the ramps, wheel and hammock. I would get a wooden hidey house too. That is what I started with. I've since made Shell a fleece hammock, pillow and tube. I'm lucky that my mother is a great seamstress. I buy the fleece and she makes what I need.

That size cage is fine for one chinchilla. A lot of people prefer bigger but it's not necessary to be bigger than that.

He probably isn't chewing because there aren't a lot of wooden items provided for chewing. Chewing is a healthy and necessary behavior for chinchillas so him not chewing it not a good thing.

The four corner strips of the hammock are hazardous to chinchillas...if they chew it the material frays and can be swallowed and cause an impaction. The material throughout the rest of the hammock is also not safe. Those are hammocks made for ferrets. There are fleece hammocks made specifically for chinchillas in the classifieds section.

A flying saucer would be a fine wheel...I'm not sure it would fit very well in that cage...they take up a ton of space.

I meant he doesnt chew the plastic... All his wood is all chewed up which im glad for makes me feel like hes healthy
I cant find any sites that look trust worthy to buy from
Please everyone i need some links :)
I wanna buy treats toys food and dust bath

You were just given a link to a list of chinnie item stores. :) All those sites are members of this forum and trustworthy.

There is not enough room in your cage for a chinspin. I put one in and it took up too much room. I just make sure she has a ton of play time to make up for it.

The wiring on that wheel is just asking for a toe to get caught. I would not keep that wheel in the cage.

I think im gonna try the chinsaucer thing and hopefully it wont over take my entire cage
Im thinking he needs some apple wood a hammock a wheel and a new house...
Does that sound good?
Any suggestions on other things he may like?
Would my cage be big enough to get another chin? I want to get him a cagemate

The wheel poses a huge hazard. They're not big enough for the chin to run in comfortably, and the cross bar is just waiting to catch a tail and break it or cut it.

If you replace the hammock with a fleece one, get some more wood chews and get rid of the wheel then you'd be on a good start.

Personally I'd like to see a bigger cage for 2 chins, but you can make do, I mean, chins in breeding cages live in smaller ones, but I'm all for the bigger the better.

His wheel doesnt actually have a cross bar... Its odd like it doesnt actually go through the whole wheel and he fit on it with room to spare but i guess ill try the saucer :)
Anyone wanna be helpful and show me there cage? Preferably one similar to mine so i can see what i real nice setup is that i could achieve

Anyone wanna be helpful and show me there cage? Preferably one similar to mine so i can see what i real nice setup is that i could achieve

If you just took the time to search, like any normal person on this forum, you would find there is an entire thread, 16 pages long, of people telling about and providing pictures of their cage/s. HERE IS THE LINK FOR YOU.

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101

Now, I am also providing you a picture to show you where the search button is located. I suggest you use it.

Attachments

• forum pic.jpg
    forum pic.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back