What should i buy for my chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand completely! I had started researching on these boards before I got my first chin, Bella. However, she came from a rescue with all kinds of stuff that was bad for her. The best thing I can recommend for you is to put the "bad stuff" on craigs list and see if you can recoup some of your money that way, and then invest slowly in the things that are better for your chin. I can really tell you, it seems crazy at first having to switch everything around, but both you and your chin will be so happy, especially when you don't have to worry about her getting into something she shouldn't

I'm the one who said Kaytee dust was OK but not the best quality and I based it on a previous answer to one of my posts by KayKay,
Some people still use Kaytee dust with no problems, it's mostly not recommended because of the price (it's EXPENSIVE) but it can still work. Any dust can cause eye infections...or they can get them otherwise, not just 1 certain brand of dust. If dust causes chins respiratory problems...then we're all gonna have some issues. Dust is a necessity. Personally, I've used Blue Sparkle and Blue Cloud...both are acceptable but I prefer Blue Cloud, however, I use Blue Sparkle because I don't show and I can get it locally. I pay $20 for 25 lbs.

I understand completely! I had started researching on these boards before I got my first chin, Bella. However, she came from a rescue with all kinds of stuff that was bad for her. The best thing I can recommend for you is to put the "bad stuff" on craigs list and see if you can recoup some of your money that way, and then invest slowly in the things that are better for your chin. I can really tell you, it seems crazy at first having to switch everything around, but both you and your chin will be so happy, especially when you don't have to worry about her getting into something she shouldn't

Yes, there's a ton of people who buy things for their pets on craigslist. You can sell it as a package deal or all separate, best thing about CL is its free!

I know, i have already bought lots of stuff that i shouldnt have and stuff that is wrong and i cant return it so im out so much money, im really stressed over this, i cant wait till i just get everything situated

I know how you feel. I didn't even find this forum (well, the last one) until about 4 or 5 years of owning my chin. Try not to stress too much, at least you know what's good/safe now, and you can start changing things and making better decisions in the future.

As for the Kaytee dust, *I* had a bad reaction to it. Definitely not good quality, but it's better than no baths until you can get something better.

Everyone's answering your questions great, I just wanted to commend you on trying to find out what IS good for them now and switching over. It's my personal belief 98% of chin owners start with a set-up much like your own and THEN we all learn what to do. It really stinks that pet stores put all that stuff out there and push it like it's the greatest stuff since sliced bread, when in fact, it's not.

Whiskers is adorable and it sounds like she has a very caring and responsible chin-mom. Keep up the research and you'll do just fine! :D

I agree with Kaykay, great job in looking for the right stuff and being the best chin-parent possible!

Just use up the Kaytee dust, and then when you need more you can order Blue Cloud or Blue Sparkle.

Check out Carise's site--she's ForchinateChins on here. She has a wonderful selection of good feed, dust, treats, chews, and even has an inexpensive wheel. She is great to deal with, and can help you put an order together.

As far as bedding goes, it's much cheaper to purchase that locally than have it shipped in. You can get inexpensive pine shavings at a Tractor Supply store, or maybe a local feed store. It will be cheaper there than at a pet store.

You're doing an awesome job, by the way. You're taking the time to learn what will help your chin be a healthy, happy pet. You can avoid a lot of pain, heartache, and vet bills with the information to be learned here. :)

I know it is hard to find out that the stuff you have isn't the best, or even good at all. My boyfriend and I went through that with our chins. It took a little while to switch things around for them, but in the end it was worth it. So, pay attention to what everyone says, read the forums regularly, and HAVE FUN! Because it really is alot of fun. Don't worry about changing everything in one day, it took us a few months to get everything to our liking.

Everyone's answering your questions great, I just wanted to commend you on trying to find out what IS good for them now and switching over. It's my personal belief 98% of chin owners start with a set-up much like your own and THEN we all learn what to do. It really stinks that pet stores put all that stuff out there and push it like it's the greatest stuff since sliced bread, when in fact, it's not.

Whiskers is adorable and it sounds like she has a very caring and responsible chin-mom. Keep up the research and you'll do just fine! :D
THanks everyone for the support and im a chin-dad not a chin-mom:impatient:

Lol
And thanks again everyone

I think they assumed you were a girl because you have the girl icon next to your user name :)) You can go to User CP up at the top left of the screen and switch that to a male.

I made a wish list for my chinny on drsfostersmith.com with Oxbow food and hay, a lava ledge and a lava swing, apple chew sticks and a chin-chiller. I will have to check out the classifieds for fleece items. If all goes well with his adoption I will order these items! :)

Latest posts

Back