What is your favorite foods to feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winknfox

"Loving my chinchillas"
What brand/s of pellets are best for chinchillas? Also what do you feed yours for treats? I understand treats are not necessary and do not want to overdo it. Are there specific vitamins or treats with specific nutrients that would be beneficial to my chins?

I feed Rutherford Mazuri since that is what the breeder fed him before I brought him home with me. As for treats, I give Rutherford a whole wheat Cheerio once every 2-3 days--he really enjoys it. I love seeing him hold the Cheerio in his paws, sitting contently and nibbling on it slowly to savor his treat. Sometimes I feed him one of those Oxbow dried strawberry treats, but I heard those are high in sugar, so I try not to give him too much of those. Oh, and I also have diced dried apple that was complimentary when I ordered him some fleece items and apple wood sticks from a seller in Oregon.

I feed Oxbow.

Treats I give are: Apple sticks (or any new chew), hay cubes, rosehips, mini shredded wheat, rolled oats, chinnie flower salad and cookies. Essentia sells the salad, cookies and rosehips. Fruit is a not ok. I would stop giving it to your chin. There are much better options out there.

I give a new chew almost once a day. It keeps her teeth nice and she enjoys them more than anything else.

I feed PRCS (Purina Rabbit Chow Show). It's a high quality rabbit food that is nutritionally sufficient for chinchillas.

I feed Manna Pro Sho Rabbit formula. Like the PRCS, it has the proper nutrition for chins. Just remember that only a select few rabbit foods are good for chins :)

I've been feeding Oxbow, but am in the process of switching to Purina Rabbit Chow Show (PRCS) -- really only because I can get 50lbs of Purina for less than what 10lbs of Oxbow costs.

I feed Oxbow, for me it's been working real well on my boys. As far as treats, I feed all my boys Tanya's organic Broad Spectrum Supplement.

Idgie eats Mazuri after I adopted her several years ago. She seems to be doing well on it and it is easy for me to get online or in the store.

She loves anything with oats--rolled oats, groats, Life cereal. She gets a little of one of those each night. Apple sticks are a favorite along with pieces of pine or poplar wood. She likes willow, too, and once in awhile she'll eat some rosehips.

Back