What is wrong with my computer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic

Super chin!
For the past month or so the disk drive on my computer has just been popping open for no reason. I won't even touch the button to make it open but it will come open anyway. I think sometimes it happens when I set my computer down or accidently hit it, but sometimes it happens for no reason at all. Then when I shut the disk drive a few seconds later it will open again and it will keep doing that until I hold it closed so it can't open. Does anyone know why it might be doing this? Its really aggravating.
Thanks!

There's a type of malware (essentially a 'virus') that can do that. It doesn't really hurt your computer except for using up short term memory and possibly spreading to other computers, but it's gotta be a pain in the rear to have your disc drive open at random!

You might be able to get a fix for it through AVG (a free spyware/virus protection software), or through Spyware Doctor (I like this one better, and it's also free). A Google search should turn up the main site for either, or at least a mirror from which you can download the program and run it to clean up your computer.

Since this kind of malware often comes attached to other things, I usually suggest you don't click on those "FREE Trailing Cursor!!" or "FREE Aquarium Screensaver!!!!" ads. They're pretty notorious for bringing 'friends' along. :(

I have Norton 360 installed in my computer. And yes it is a pain in the rear! I've honestly thought of duck taping my disk drive shut as a last resort lol
I will try running a full scan and seeing if it detects anything but I do the quick scans weekly and nothing has came up.

Tbh, one of the things I don't like about Norton is that their definitions take forever to update, and I've had stuff slip past it that was caught by some other programs. But, if it's this type of malware, a full scan should catch it. (It may not be a virus, but that's the most common explanation for the glitch you described. Beyond that, I'm a little out of my depth, but I can ask my Code Monkey boyfriend, aka: Taller Half tomorrow if you haven't gotten a better suggestion by then.)

You should definitely check for malware or viruses. You could also have a defective drive. I've read about a lot of laptops that do this, especially some of the HP dv models. Do you happen to have a warranty on it? If you can't find any sort of threat, I'd send it off to the warranty company and have the drive replaced, if you have a warranty.

Norton is CRAP! Touch wood but the only time we have gotten a virus that affected the computer is when we ran Nortons. Nortons misses so many viruses.

Avast is generally recommended by computer gurus and is free. When I first got my laptop, it came with Nortons. I ran both and Avast was catching things Nortons had no clue about. http://www.avast.com/

I agree, Norton is crap. It randomly decided one day that my INTERNET was a virus and blocked me from the internet, and I had to wipe my computer because it would not go away. That was aggravating.

Is your computer a laptop or a desktop? Laptops only latch shut, right? At least, my fiance's does. Maybe that just isn't working right? His opens all the time without him meaning to.

Mine is a laptop, a gatway to be more specific. I also did a full scan and nothing came up. It could be my driver too. I don't think I have a warranty on it. This laptop is about 3 yrs old now.
I believe it that Norton is crap tho. My old Norton uninstalled itself when I conducted a Trojian virus (which completely destroyed the hard-drive on my last computer)

Nancy - Thanks for the website for different anti-virus software. I will definitely download it ASAP

Many, many reasons. First step; check your system logs. :)

I think I'm a little computer challenged, where are the system logs located?? lol...

Last edited:
I like AVG and Spybot - S & D for antivirus and spyware detectors. Both are free.

I really dislike Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro, mainly because you have to pay for them and they don't usually do as well as the freebies.

Avast worked really well. It picked up a few things that Norton didn't even pick up, I was surprised.

Avast worked really well. It picked up a few things that Norton didn't even pick up, I was surprised.
YAY! Yes Avast is so much better than Nortons and best of all, it's free. Prior to getting my laptop, my computer was wiped out by a virus that came through messenger. It shut Nortons right down. We discovered the name of the virus from the person it unknowingly came from and even though at that time the virus was already 3 years old, it wasn't even in Nortons list of viruses to protect against.

Latest posts

Back