What is this hole?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knowing people who have had herniated intestines, it isn't a comfortable thing. Nobody here is calling you an idiot, Tara, we're just questioning the advice of a vet on something that is an excruciatingly painful situation in humans, let alone a small animal. It's very possible she's running around to try and relieve pressure/pain. If you want to give her a chance at a comfortable life, I'd opt for the surgery, otherwise I'd put her down. JMO.

Ive had 2 very chin experienced vets say it isnt hurting her and it isnt causing her pain. I made sure to get a second opinion. She is just as playful and up and at them as the rest of them. If I thought for one second 2 vets would be wrong on their diagnosis I would consider it. I know they are very good at hiding distress but looking at her, I really dont think she is in distress. I am aware you are all just showing concern and I am not above putting animals down and I am not selfishly keeping her alive. I have had 3 now I had to let go. One from an inoperable stone, one from Malo and the other from an infection that could not be cured.

Thank you for your thoughts and concern. I will update you all if there is any change in her.

Just an aside... from my knowledge as a nurse, it is generally recommended that humans suffering from hernias restrict their activity until the condition has been surgically corrected.

If between yourself and the vet you decide this is not the best course of action, I would at the minimum not let her run around and jump due to the risk of stangulating the protruding intestions. This is an extremely painful condition and can lead to massive infection and death.

I would also go to extremes to make sure that she stays well hydrated and fed CC to prevent any bloat or constipation that could cause her to strain and cause the herniation to worsen.

Back