What is the best way to store supplies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bailey45121

What is the best way to store supplies and keep everything fresh. How should I store hay cubes and pellets to keep it fresh the longest?
I purchased a hay bag from Menagerie to store my loose hay. Thanks Menagerie!!!

Hay should be kept in a breathable area like those bags and I believe hay cubes should be the same. A dry area with no moisture or humidity. Pellets should be kept air tight with the same rules.

What else are you storing?

I store my toys and wood in this unit from IKEA, with the laundry bag on the side to store hay.

room-1.jpg

room1-1.jpg

room2-1.jpg

room3-1.jpg

Dawn ...id love to know an estimate of how much those supplies cost in total. I always wonder if buying in serious bulk will do me good

Hay should be kept in a breathable area like those bags and I believe hay cubes should be the same. A dry area with no moisture or humidity. Pellets should be kept air tight with the same rules.

What else are you storing?

I am needing to store wood, 10 lbs of dust and a big bag of pine shavings.

I keep my pellets in a plastic storage container with a lid. I just buy the small bags of hay and keep them in the plastic bag that they come in. All my wood items are kept in open cardboard boxes ao on shelves.

I keep my pellets in a plastic storage container too. It's a Sterilite 24 qt and it holds 25 lbs of pellets with some room to spare. Dust is just in the USPS box/plastic bag I got it in, my dust before that was in a paper bag, I think the only thing with dust is make sure it doesn't get wet. Bedding is the same thing, it's in the plastic bag I bought it in, just make sure it doesn't get wet either. I suppose you could pour that in a big plastic Tupperware bin if you want to seal it. I have a plastic Sterilite set of drawers for their toys, wood and treats and it works great!

Dawn your set up is AWESOME!

I store my supplies in the plastic drawers that pull out, and keep my pellets, and dust in the Vittles Vaults. Hay, and wood are just stored in cardboard boxes. Dawn puts a lot of us to shame....lol

Dawn instead of Got Milk.... Got Wood? You can defiantly say - yes! I have my little bit of wood that I have, stored in zip log bags in a clean coffee container that's also closed airtight. Should I take it out and have out in the open so it could breathe?

Does hay need to breathe? I usually keep mine in the bag it comes in sealed shut with a rubber band. There was one time I left it open and i think it went bad a lot faster.

Does hay need to breathe?
Yes. Organic items need to be in breathable containers.

I keep my hay in a cardboard box that holds one 80lb bale.
Dust is in Tidy Cat buckets, they hold 50lbs. I have two, one for blue cloud and one for PDZ.
Feed - stays in the bag. I was going through it too fast to bother with a bin, but now that I'm not I'm bin hunting.
Wood - I cure my wood which means I dry it extensively for several months before giving it to the chins. It is currently living in a huge storage tote with no lid because I stole the wood box for something else. Otherwise it lives in a big cardboard box.

Yes. Organic items need to be in breathable containers.

Okay so if I wanted to keep it in the bags because it's easier....should I just poke holes in them? Or should i just put all my hay into a paper grocery bag and be done with it that way?

I'd go paper grocery bag. If you use plastic and the humidity gets high enough the hay that is touching the plastic will get damp.

This is an old picture, but it's pretty much still how I store my stuff. I just have a few more drawer stacks now. :p

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

I now have my hay in a cardboard box since I don't order the 9lb. bags anymore. When I did I would just leave it in the bag, but make sure to put a bunch of holes in it.

Back