What is an ugly chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexy114

After browsing this forum I've noticed some breeders and knowledgeable pet owners call their chins ugly or rat faced... I know it's in a loving way and that it just means that those chins aren't up to show quality standards, but what exactly qualifies a chin as being rat faced or ugly?

This is just out of curiosity...I adore my chin baby and I think he's quite beautiful, but I've only had him for about a month now, so I'm not too informed on the whole breeding side of it. I'm not sure if he's seen as ugly in the breeding/show world.

Just to clarify I don't want to show him or anything (I'm too busy lovin on him!) I'm just trying to learn more for the sake of knowing more about chins. :)

Rat faced means they have a long skinny face that looks kind of like a rat face with long skinny ears. It's not necessarily less desirable in the show world as the rest of the animal can be up to show standards, but the majority of us like to see a fat, cute, little squishy face.

An "ugly" chin would be rat faced with a long skinny body, very thin fur and reddish tints in the fur. Overall, it makes for an unpleasant look to the chin and the chin's coat.

For pet chins, I don't think anyone should care if they have an ugly or rat faced chin. The more important thing is that you have a chin with a great personality and that you love the chin. I've rehomed some ugly rescue chinnies because they have awesome personalities and they still ARE chins regardless of how they look. Soft and insane. ;)

^^^Well said!!!

I love ALL of my chinnies and they each have a totally different look but GREAT personalities.

I sometimes call Mr. Whiskers my mousey chin, since he has a more pointed nose, definitely a Lanigera body type. Little Two Paws, also a Lanigera, has large ears and I call him my bat-faced chinnie. The Snuggler is a Brevicaudata body type and has a cute rouund squishy face.All 3 of them have their own endearing qualities, that make me love them no matter what they look like!!!

Also keep in mind when you see the term "junk chins" that has nothing to do with the chin, it's personality, it's ability to give and receive affection. It has to do with, as you stated, qualities for breeding. I use the term junk chins when it's a back yard breader who insists their chins are the best ever and that they know everything about quality. And even though I say, "junk has nothing to do with them being wonderful pets and being deserving of love, it has to do with their breedability" they still send me pm's screaming at me about how cruel I am for calling their wonderful, million dollar chins junk. Oye.

ohh ok! Thanks :) I don't know much about breeding quality (except from what I just learned thanks guys!) but I do have to say my chin has a great coat. I've very proud of him :) lol I'm such a dork chin mom!

Now I just have to focus my energy on not getting another one....I have to be strong! I've only had this one for a little while and I want like 100 of them now! They are so addicting!

Ah you sound so much like me! I'm besotted with my Chin, I've been completely enchanted by her. I waste hours just watching her play in her cage or even just sleeping! I got her off a back yard breeder (well, she's just starting out in the world of breeding...) but she has a lovely coat (well, I reckon anyway) but I'm certain if I were to show her the judges would have a field day! So I'm not going to, ever, because to me she's perfect.

Intresting topic though, cos my cousin rescued a chin (years and years ago - poor chin is long gone now) and my mum kept saying it was "ratty" and didnt have a nice squishy chin face, and how she thought my cousin was conned into buying a rat :rolleyes: I think the chin was very well loved regardless of its ratty features!

I would like to see a picture of a "junk" chin compared to a show quality chin. I am curious. I have no idea what my chins would be classified as, not that it really matters. I love my little rats...LOL

I learned so much by going to my first chin show. The judge explained why a animal was placed high or low and I finally got it

Honestly the worst comment you can get is I am sure this chinchilla makes a great pet...that means show quality wise it has nothing going for it. Let me see when hubby gets home if i can dig up a picture of our old resident AJ here He was skinny boney and rat like....

DSC05223.jpg

Stratus, the sweetest cuddly lap chin I took in as a rescue. He was one of 11 chinchillas I rescued that were descendents of a pair and ended up overbreeding the cage they were in... Sweetiepie, but rat-faced, small, has poor conformation... not a chin you would want to put in breeding.

Even after he gained weight and his coat grew back in, he still is not breeding quality and doesn't have genes you would want to pass on. You can tell his coat is not dense or strong and he was still a small-framed chin:
DSC05875.jpg

Actually, sad to say, there are some "breeders" who sell chins even on CnH that are "ugly" chins... for large amounts of $. It's up to the buyer to do their research on the type of breeder they are supporting but unfortunately, many at first do not know any better.

As a comparison, this was our girl who *nearly* took Reserve Grand Show Champion at MCBA Natl's two years ago. She passed away due to complications from an e-c-section but we've got her three offspring and a full-sister to continue the genes.

Attachments

• Ginger.jpg
    Ginger.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 57
I called poor quality chinchillas rat faced for awhile, but then I realized that rats are cute and I like them... so now I call them "door stoppers" because they are long and wedge shaped.

hahaha wow awesome! I've learned so much :) I'm so happy about all the responses!

Back