What I did on spring break

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycamore Chins

This has been on my to-do list for a while now...took a while to get all the supplies together but it is finally done!

Presenting "Grower cage 1.0"!!!

It is definitely a prototype. It cost way too much to build and took way too much time to build it, but we learned a lot along the way and they'll only get better/cheaper as we go along. Even though it isn't perfect, once we set it up I couldn't help but think how snazzy it looks in the chin room!

ETA: The entire metal portion can be separated from the hardwood base so it can be pressure washed then put back together!

First pic is before full assembly, second pic is it all set up, third pic is a close up.

Fourth pic is Mr. Mason, one of the quints born the day before and attending last years natl's. He'll be there this year with his siblings for their 1 year birthday! He is by far the darkest chin we've ever produced. I didn't think anything could possess me to keep another male, but...how can I resist!? Now, black velvet or standard? ;)

Attachments

• growcage2.jpg
    growcage2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 58
  • growcage.jpg
    growcage.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 60
  • growcage1.jpg
    growcage1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Mason314.jpg
    Mason314.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 57
Both look very good kid! Can not wait to see your show animals in person.

Thanks! I'm really excited for the two biggest quints - the male above, and the female of the litter. Both will be staying here, I can't bear to part with them!

Put him with some nice black velvets... And put me on the offspring list! I can use a few more nice blacks!

Good job on the cages!!

48"L x 18" D x 15" H - each cage is 16" wide. Worked out really well because we could buy one piece of the hardwood at Home Depot already 24" x 48" - so we didn't have to cut it!

I feel like I should know what a "grower cage" is but I don't..

It looks nice though. =)

It's simply a cage to put kits in to grow up into adults. It doesn't have a run on the back, so can't be used for breeding. The cages are just big enough for 1 adult chin, so that I can keep them separated before a show, without taking up too much space in the room.

Back