What exactly is fleece bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglersarah

Chewy, ZuZu & Recess
I've been hearing lots and lots about fleece liners. Does someone have a picture or can describe them to me. I am using the natural care fresh right now. I have been noticing that my brothers that are housed together pee in the same spot all the time so I would be willing to try a litter box and fleece liner. Could I use the carefresh for the litter? I have also used Yesterdays News cat littler for better as well...would that work for litter?

I have learned a ton on here already and just joined today. I know I need to make some changes but can only do so as money is available. I am going to be looking for better food and hay ASAP and would like to switch out my plastic shelves for metal as soon as I can afford it.

Any good links to buying good chew toys, food, bedding, hammock etc from people on here - I would appreciate it! I'm really annoyed that pet stores package and sell stuff that is not healthy for your Chin. :hair:

Looking forward to hearing from all you knowledgeable people:hug2:

Welcome!

If you look in the classifieds, there is a huge list of people online who will sell you things like liners, hammocks, houses, chews, food, hay, dust, shelves, and treats. also, there are members here that do not have a website, but they will sell things.

If you are lucky enough to have chins that will pee in one spot (unfortunatly im not that lucky) then I would switch to fleece and a litter box. it is cheaper that buying lots of bedding.

I've been hearing lots and lots about fleece liners. Does someone have a picture or can describe them to me. I am using the natural care fresh right now. I have been noticing that my brothers that are housed together pee in the same spot all the time so I would be willing to try a litter box and fleece liner. Could I use the carefresh for the litter? I have also used Yesterdays News cat littler for better as well...would that work for litter?

I have learned a ton on here already and just joined today. I know I need to make some changes but can only do so as money is available. I am going to be looking for better food and hay ASAP and would like to switch out my plastic shelves for metal as soon as I can afford it.

Any good links to buying good chew toys, food, bedding, hammock etc from people on here - I would appreciate it! I'm really annoyed that pet stores package and sell stuff that is not healthy for your Chin. :hair:

Looking forward to hearing from all you knowledgeable people:hug2:

Hello and WELCOME to a fellow Illinoisan! I'm originally from the Chicago suburbs, and can't wait to move home!

Fleece is the only type of fabric that is considered safe for chinchillas. It is hard to break apart, and if it does break there are no stringy threads that can cause an impaction. Most chinchillas can use fleece no problem, there are a few exceptions that will insist on eating fleece. Unfortunately those chins can't use fleece.

There are mixed feelings about the safety of carefresh, Definitely DON'T use the cat litter. I'd recommend using pine shavings for litter.

As it was mentioned there are many sales threads in the classified section. I make all sorts of fleece cage accessories, as well as natural safe chew toys. If you'd like to see pictures with detailed descriptions my website is www.classychillas.com. If you have further questions about my products you can always email me or send me a PM.

Last edited:
Some people do like the fleece liners for bedding, especially if your chin pees in one spot. If you don't notice your chins trying to eat the carefresh then there shouldn't be an issue with it. You can get a glass square pyrex bowl and use that for the litterbox, since they're easy to clean and the chin can't chew them.

If you want different shelves you can get wood ones too, you could easily make your own if you have access to a saw and drill. All you need is kiln-dried pine from the home improvement store, some will even cut it to size for you.

The downside for me for fleece liners is that you do need to wash them, and when I used them, I found for my chins that weren't so good at peeing in the same spot, I had to switch them out every other day or else the fleece really started to smell bad. So that is one thing to think about.

I've also got some fleece things in my store if you want to take a look, the link is in my signature.

Latest posts

Back