what do you think is wrong?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erin1818

my chinchilla has been very healthy but in the last day shes been sitting in her cage with her head down and keeps rubbing her nose (occasional sneezing). shes eating and drinking like normal but i just dont know what to do. a few days ago she REALLY hurt her paw and when i went to pick her up today she cried im not sure if its a broken paw.... but her nose sounds stuffy and im also not sure if she has a URI? everyone on here i know is going to be like TAKE HER TO THE VET RIGHT NOW cuz it seems like people say thats the answer to everything but its sunday and no ones open exept the emegency vet. and should i keep my other chinchilla away?

First, the reason you are told to take a sick or injured chin to the vet is because we are not vets. We don't SCREAM IT, we simply tell you that's the best thing for your chin.

Second, you said she hurt her paw badly a few days ago. A few days ago it was not Sunday, so she should have been seen at the vet already if you knew she was injured.

Third, If she has her head down, she's ill or in pain. Find a vet. There are vets everywhere that have Sunday hours. Pick up the phone book, turn to the yellow pages, and start dialing.

I do agree that if she "REALLY hurt her paw" a few days ago, she should've seen a vet before today so the fact that today is Sunday is really no excuse.

Try to find a vet that's open, and if you can't find one that's open today, I think you should take her to the emergency vet. It's not fair to your chinchilla to leave her in pain.

I agree, if you absolutely cannot find a vet today, start calling very early tomorrow and get her in ASAP. Definitely call around to emergency vets and see if you can find someone, who will see the chin today.

A stuffy nose is a very serious symptom with a chinchilla. The earlier you get her in for veterinary care the more likely it is that something can be done to help. There's nothing that we can tell you to do at home, there's no home remedy or anything but going to a vet for help. This isn't a scratch or something simple...you're talking about a potential URI that could turn into pneumonia in a matter of a few hours.

Usually if you phone yor vet they give you another number to phone incase of emergency, i know my vets phone line tranfers to his house number after hours and although it would cost more after hours to see a vet i would rather make sure my chinnie is going to get vet attention as soon as possible. I also agree that if this happened a couple of days ago you should of gone to a vet already, if your really worried for your chinnie find a vet that will see you before it gets worse.

Here's the deal Erin1818 if your chinchilla has a broken paw she is in immense pain and suffering--if you broke your arm or leg you would not wait days to go to the doctor you would go right away to get it fixed and to get medicine for pain.

If she has a URI she can die--yes your chinchilla can die, and many chinchillas have died from having URI's that were not caught in time because their owner did not take them to the vet.

So knowing that--knowing your chinchilla can be in immense pain and knowing your chinchilla can die the decision is yours and yours alone as to whether or not you get her to the vet today.

From what I understand, a URI can be lethal in a few hours and if its not treated soon, it may be too late. You should take her to a vet- anyone you can get her into and separate her from your other chin and monitor the other chin closely for any symptoms.

You mentioned only the emergency vet is open today - well, then you should be taking her to the emergency vet since you already know its open.

The reason people say to take her to the vet immediately is because that is what's needed. Leaving it too long can and has resulted in many, many untimely deaths. If you were having trouble breathing, I'm sure you would go to the emergency room. Your chin needs and deserves the same treatment.

she didnt die or doesnt have a broken paw. i took her to the vet and even the vet didnt come out and say she had a URI but she gave me baytril.

Did the vet give you oral Baytril or an injection? Oral Baytril can make chins lose their appetite so you should keep a close eye on her to make sure she's eating.

Hope your chin feels better soon.

well the first vet didnt come out and say its a URI but i took her again today and they gave me meloxicam for her nose. shes not doing too well but the two meds will hopefully kick in and shell be fine...im going to florida in a few days and im worrried..

Baytril is a big guns medicine and chins have to be on it for a few days for it to work. URI's are deadly so I hope she is healed before you leave for Florida or you have someone very responsible caring for her.

If she stops eating due to the baytril she will have to be hand fed.

Meloxicam is an NSAID and used for pain relief - why would a vet prescribe that for a nose (rubbing nose and sneezing)???

Are you sure that it wasn't rx'd for pain relief - if not - I would seriously start looking for a new vet!

Latest posts

Back