What do you guys think of Mazuri pellets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillachris

Student of my chinchillas
Hi all,
I recently purchased 30 pounds of Oxbow Essentials Chinchilla Deluxe pellets online, but, lately I've been thinking about changing my food because the Oxbow price can be pretty steep. I was researching alternative foods and found that Mazuri chinchilla pellets are only $19 for 25 pounds (plus $5 shipping)! Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Oxbow pellets and they're very high quality, but the Mazuri is so well priced and I've heard a lot of people use that food. So anyway, this leads to my question, what do you guys think of Mazuri pellets? Do any of you use them? I've heard that Mazuri can cause soft poops, is that true? Thank you to all who respond!

I've been using Mazuri for about 16 years now, I use it for my chins. I haven't had problems with soft droppings with my chins, but I may get my food from a different mill than others do. I have chins that are in their mid to late teens that have been on it their entire lives and are doing very well.

I used to feed Mazuri years ago when had around a dozen chinchillas, I've switched to oxbow now only because I moved to Canada and there is no where near by that carry it (I'd rather get it at a store then through the mail). Also only having 2 chins now the price isn't an issue for me, but if I was feeding more I would look to find what works for my chins for the cheapest. It's true that mazuri can cause soft poop in some chinchillas lines (or possible a issue with certain mills it comes from?), but most chins do fine on it, mine all did, but obviously if you try it and your chins have issues try something else or go back to the oxbow. As far as I know mazuri is similar quality as the oxbow, just slightly different ingredients and nutrient ratios.

Been using Mazuri for 10 years. My chins have never had a problem with it, though I've had a few rescues come in that don't do well on it (loose poos). But we're talking a handful of chins out of several hundred, so that's not a concern for me....

Thank you all for replying! I think for now I'll continue using the Oxbow, but once I run out of it (which won't be for approx 6 months since I'm receiving a shipment of 30 pounds of it today!) I'll maybe order a small bag of Mazuri and see how the chins do on it.

i had my chin on mazuri and he had soft poops i switched him too oxbow pellets and no more soft poops :):)

Thank you all for replying! I think for now I'll continue using the Oxbow, but once I run out of it (which won't be for approx 6 months since I'm receiving a shipment of 30 pounds of it today!) I'll maybe order a small bag of Mazuri and see how the chins do on it.

You'll want to get the Mazuri before you run out of Oxbow. You want to switch them to the new food slowly over a few weeks. :)

My herd is also on mazuri, I don't have any issues with this food. Some tractor supply store carry or can order it in for you.

we recently switched our chins to Mazuri from Oxbow. at first they were only eating the Oxbow pellets (they were specifically picking them out and leaving the Mazuri pellets), but then they gradually, on their own, switched to Mazuri. so far it's been great. they eat like they always have, and i haven't noticed any changes in their poops.

(woah. i didn't notice this post was old. heh. sorry :p)

Last edited:
Back