What chinchilla cage do you have and would recommend?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Ferret Nation (any model)
- Chinchilla starter cage (kit)
- Other
- I built my own

I've had all of these options, lol. Started out with the starter cage, which is too small even to start with. That lasted approximately a week before I was on ebay shopping for a bigger cage. Bought an aviary, which was nice once I adapted it for chins. Then decided that was such a big cage, it could hold TWO chins, lol.
Of course, once the two chins were in it, it seemed too small, so I built my own. 4'x4'x2' in melamine. Size was great, weight was not so great. 200lbs+ and difficult to move on my own, even with casters. So, I got a Ferret Nation. Now I'm addicted and have THREE Ferret Nations.
You can't beat the size for the price, and those doors make it The. Perfect. Cage. They open all the way for cleaning, and they come off easily for putting in shelves and wheels. Love it, love it, love it.

have you thought of connecting all the ferret nation cages together @_@... it would be EPIC

I have a fn 182 ( no tools needed) and absolutely love it. I had origanally purchased a sper pets exotics cage and it was fine for one chin but a pain in the but to clean. I would definitely recommend the fn because of how easy it is to clean and it is huge :)

We have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Produc...MDKO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1329784185&sr=8-9

It's a little flimsy but it does the job. We took out the ramps and will probably replace at least one of the shelves soon. What I do like about it is it would be hard for her to fall and really hurt herself because it's more wide than tall. And it's stable enough to attach ledges to.

We line it with fleece.

lol woops, wrong link.

Last edited:
I have all Martin's cages, the Skyscraper. I like them. They are a pain to put together but are easy to clean and the chins can't push ALL of their bedding out. The chins all have fleece tubes and hammocks and I put wood shelves and houses in on top of the wire. They have drop in pans, so there is no bottom grate and most importantly, my wheels fit in through the door of the cage with plenty of room above and below them.

for Rhino, i have a Precision brand cat cage with a homemade wood base. I love this cage! huge doors (they open up the cage 'almost' as much as a FN opens up), and the space inside is the same as a FN, but with no middle level. bars are strong and they are vertical with quite a number of horizontal bars (i think 10 altogether from top to bottom).

for Guss, i have the blue and white superpet 'chewproof' cage. the bars are a bit too weak to attach things like a wheel IMO though. while this cage is a suitable size for a single chin, i am trying to find another cage like Rhino's for him (if they don't eventually live together - ultimate goal). i suppose with a wood separating platform i could split Rhino's cage in half, but i'd feel bad taking away half of Rhino's cage when he definitely utilizes all the space in it.

I started out with what I assume was a rat cage(?) that the pet store recommended... however, I quickly upgraded to a Martin's Cage that has a base of 2 1/2' x 3' and is 5' tall... The chins love it! I covered some of the levels with tile so they do not hurt their feet. I even sew them things and build them houses and shelves... If there's any advice to take, it's "the bigger the better"!

I also have a Martin's cage, it's an older style and I can't remember what it's called now. It has an approximately 2'x2' base and is 4' tall. It has three levels, all of which I have covered. I just have one chin in there, and there seems to be plenty of room for her to play around and cage wall surf. The only thing that sucks about it are the doors. They are a little on the small side. I think that the newer models have larger doors though.

I wish I could see a Ferret Nation in person, I've heard great things about it.

I have a Marshall Mansion. There's things I like about it and things I don't. For one, the "doors" are pretty much hanging grids. The way they tell you to put them on normally is unrealisic. Mine kept getting stuck and was a pain in the butt to take on and off, so I put them on the way I wanted and have them clamped down with some binder clips. I like the slide out pan, but it has another "grid" type thing covering it thats actually attached to the cage some what properly this time. It doesn't close all the time and sometimes pops open, not the best design. Also, it came with mesh ramps and ledges, so I had to replace them. It wasn't much trouble though. I think it would be cramped for two chins, but maybe that's just my layout.

Other than that, I love this cage. It's big and spacious and is on wheels so Ic an clean behind it easily. No tools needed to put it together, but it was HEAVY. Wish I didn't do it by myself!

Latest posts

Back