What cage do you prefer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie'sMum

Nutz over Chins
I am looking to upgrade my chins cage to a much larger more efficient cage. I do not have the option right now to create a custom built one. I live in an apartment that is on the second story, so it has to be easy to clean from inside, but I also don't want to have mess everyday either. I am willing to pay some more money for those "liners" hat are like 3inches tall that you can place on the shelves to help keep shavings and poo inside the cage. Of course I don't want to spend too much money, but am ok with investing in this one and hope to not upgrade again, or the possibility to add on would be great too!

Are there any that are easy to fold or move? I tend to move around a lot due to the military, so I would like a cage that I can take a part easily and also put together again.:hmm:

What cages do you have or would prefer to purchase?

I have a ferret nation 142, and my chin loves it. its easy to clean once you get the deeper metal pans, and remove all the ramps an shelves. you have to create your own wooden shelves, etc, but it is a very fun project!!!

Most people enjoy the FN 142 after they revamp them with deeper pans and wooden shelves. Both doors open fully to allow easy access to the cage, and if you need to only open one side, you have that option as well.

Haahaa ok also just did a search and found a large thread on the FN and the CN. I think the FN wins :)

Where did you purchase your deep pans from??

Thank you both!!! I am actually too excited to wait any longer and have called Petsmart so they will price match the FN! I won't have any ledges, but at least I will have the cage! I found the FN online for $181.35...good price??

Make sure they know it is an online price. A lot of times that becomes a problem. 181 is a pretty good price, though.

I actually managed to get a deluxe care home... it's super enormous and easily collapsed:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...67058401239_1376910070_31076557_2763433_n.jpg
My chinchillas love it and it can be easily split in two or completely collapsed. Because the levels are plastic, they snap in and out easily and I have had zero problems with chewing.
If you can get a used one of these (I somehow only paid $50), I would even recommend this.

thats an awesome price for an FN 142.....I got mine for 200$ used...so if definitely an awesome deal!!!!

I love my ferret nations! They are very heavy though! I have 4 inch plexiglass ledges around mine and still have a mess every morning lol! I don't think it's possible to encase chinchilla messes though!! The fns are very nice cages though!! And $181 is a fantastic price! I got one at Petsmart and it was $230 but then I got another on Amazon for $142!

Are there any that are easy to fold or move? I tend to move around a lot due to the military, so I would like a cage that I can take a part easily and also put together again.:hmm:

What cages do you have or would prefer to purchase?

That's the reason I went with the Quality Cage Mansion over the Ferret Nation. It's the perfect cage for my Lady. I'm saving to upgrade the other cages as well. Plus these cages come with wood shelves instead of plastic or metal that would need to be replaced/covered anyway.

I will also agree that the FN 142 rocks! I have that in addition to a Martin cage, and the Ferret Nation is so much easier to clean because the doors open all the way. Also, the FN seems sturdier, and flying saucer is much quieter in it than in the Martin.

omg i love u so much!!!! I just got the ferret nation at petsmart for 160 cause of that link!

Sweet! Glad you were able to use the link!

Yep I choose the FN 142 as well! Glad I got it! I am in the processing of moving so I haven' had the chance to put it together, but will over the next few weeks!

As an alternative, I have the Marshall Folding Ferret Mansion. It's less expensive, really big, and collapsible for easy moving. It was really easy to put together. The wire grid shelves and ramps made me nervous, but I wanted to wait a bit before dropping a bundle on tons of wood shelves, so I covered all of the wire shelves and ramps with fleece and velcro & added a few cheap marble tiles from home depot, so she'd have plenty of warm and cool places to sit. I've added a few wood and lava ledges and perches to add interest, but I haven't needed to get rid of the wire grid shelves and ramps. As long as they are covered with fleece, my muppet can't get hurt and she seems to love all the space to play. Also fits a huge 16" diameter wheel for running. If you're interested, I'd be happy to take some pics of what I've done with her cage to make it safe and lots of fun!! Just let me know

Pics of Marshall Folding Ferret Mansion

Sorry for the delay, kinda slipped my mind! Probably should have cleaned her cage before snapping pics, but oh well, too late lol. Hope this helps and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

Attachments

• whole cage1.jpg
    whole cage1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 71
  • bottom cage1.jpg
    bottom cage1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
  • bottom cage2.jpg
    bottom cage2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 51
  • middle cage1.jpg
    middle cage1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 49
  • top cage1.jpg
    top cage1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
You can take the ramps out. Chins for the most part don't use them. Put some ledges in step form between levels. She'll prob enjoy that a bit more.

Back