What are the results of the Ohio Field Day?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've observed with Dave at the final table. He has a good idea of which chin he likes best for champion male and champion female, he even has a good idea of which animal he is going to put up as GSC, but he does take the time to put each against the ones he likes most to give them a chance.

I don't mind that standards win... I'm a standard lover, but I also feel that Dave does a good job of picking simply the best animal that day. Last Port Ewen show it was a BV (Jess' gorgeous girl), not a standard. I've heard of plenty of non-standards taking GSC, it just depends on the day.

As the other mutations get stronger, they will have a better chance...

Standards do not always win the top places. I have had many mutes take Grand Show and Reserve including last years WI show where my pink white female took GSC and my mosaic male took RGS. They just have to hold up to the same quality of the standards and not just be great for their coat color.

Jenera is the only ECBC show in our area, and it is not well advertised. Next closest would either be southern unit (which may be in Georgia this year?) or Iowa.

I showed at Jenera this year without being an ECBC member. I joined after the fact, but I wasn't questioned about it at the time. I think they were happy just to have entries...

I think the Heartland ECBC show that is usually in Iowa in January is moving to Kansas? :(

I love all shows, but I confess I enjoy the 10 class system at ECBC only because classification is time consuming and sometimes seems so subjective. I suppose all judging is subjective, too, though. I do like the lighter phase standards getting a chance to shine at MCBA shows due to the classification system. The darks/extra darks tend to have more flash but I find the mediums so useful in a mute breeding program.

I've actually been in contact with the ECBC about joining. I want to participate in the ranch certification and it isn't out of the realm of possibility for me to go to Jenera... plus we're starting to tag ears this year so that'll already be done.

You can get ranch certified through MCBA as well. It's the same set of regulations. Contact Pam Kleman about it, as she is our secretary.

Im not a big ear tagger so I dont think that would work out if I joined, but I would love to see an Empress show.

I got certified through ECBC and was told if you are certified with one, you are essentally certified with the other because the process is the same. Therefore though I am a MCBA member as well, I didn't pay to repeat the process again. You have to re-certify every 3 years.

I do not have a list of members who are certified, but I do know that some are. I was, but when it came time to re-certify, I couldn't get a vet to come out to do it. It's not difficult, there an easy set of guidelines, but the vets around here are either large animal or strictly cats and dogs and won't break out of their shell to certify me. sigh...

It has been very little effort for me: a nice visit with my vet as he looks over everything and checks off the paperwork. Fun to converse with him in the chin room as he asks about this & that. I provide the envelope for him to mail the form in, and I write a check for the fee. I can see where it would be a lot more work if there were parts of the certification a breeder didn't initially meet, but I didn't have any trouble.

As for why do it, I wanted to demonstrate my commitment to the written standard and the parent organizations as well as have documentation from my vet that I adhere to a high level of care for my chins. It tells people who have never been to my place that it's been evaluated and meets or exceeds specific criteria. I had just started showing 4.5 years ago when I was first certified, and I wanted people to know I was serious about high standards. Ranch Certification seemed like a resposible, "professional" thing to do.

As for why do it, I wanted to demonstrate my commitment to the written standard and the parent organizations as well as have documentation from my vet that I adhere to a high level of care for my chins. It tells people who have never been to my place that it's been evaluated and meets or exceeds specific criteria. I had just started showing 4.5 years ago when I was first certified, and I wanted people to know I was serious about high standards. Ranch Certification seemed like a resposible, "professional" thing to do.

Well said, Wendy!!! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back