What are the results of the Ohio Field Day?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the Empress shows where the mutes have their own GSC!

I thought it would come down to either your Violet or Connie's Eb TOV - they were huge for mutations - heck they would have been huge for standards!!!

Do you have to be a member of Empress to show at their shows? Dumb question Im sure, lol

Where do they usually have the Empress shows, I might be interested in looking into joining them too!

I am pretty sure you do not have to be a member but they charge more per entry. Also, the animals must be ear tagged for sanctioned shows but do not have to be tagged for Field Days.

I've been considering some ECBC participation too, I wish they were more active around here!

Juanita, your animals were gorgeous! Jen's violet was too but she knows that - I told her she would take the section from the get-go.

It wouldn't hurt to attend the ECBC field days. As long as they aren't too far away, like Ohio or something.

Dee you certainly did say she was going to take section :) A few others said she could have taken GSC.....which is why I would like to see what ECBC would do for my mutes in a show :) I just don't like how more than half the mutes were put right to the end of the table without even a second glance....I mean Juanita you even said your PW female should have beat your standard but they didn't even consider her either! Pusher her and the rest right away and left the standard and the ebony up there to compare for GSC. or was it the BV....either way, none of the mutes were even looked at once they hit the final table.

They don't always choose standards for GSC...Last year Monika took GSC at the same show with an Ebony and I took RGSC with a standard. MCBA nationals this year was won by a black. I've seen many times when a standard didn't win GSC. Just happened that Dave's opinion was the standard was best on the table Saturday for whatever qualities he was prioritizing. Only way to know why he chose the way he did wouldve been to ask him LOL. I am sure he had good reason for choosing the way he did :)

You don't have to be a member for ECBC to show they just charge more on the entry fee. I have shown my animals for awhile and I'm not a member.

Jen - yes, I said that "I thought my PW would beat my standard" but I am not a judge by any stretch - shows what I know! LOL!!! This is why I still attend shows whether I have something to show or not - so I can try to see what the judges see - hah!!! I didn't get a chance to speak with the judges so don't know why she was chosen over the others - not a lot of comments there at the very end so hard to guess.

Cheryl - it is my understanding that they plan on having the Jenera show in January but probably won't post details for some time. That is a sanctioned show though and not a Field Day so all animals must be tagged.

The Jenera ECBC show is right around the corner from Jim Ritterspach's ranch, it is 80 miles further west from the Ryersons. However, because the show is in January, the roads can be iffy.

As Christy said, they don't always pick standards, and never automatically pick them for GSC, but they do take it a lot of the time. I've never seen anything other than an ebony or black beat the standards though.

Finally :)

DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

Oh I totally agree that the standard was a winner, and I know he chose her for specific reasons. I just don't feel he looked at each chin like he was with the black, ebony and standard, thats all Im saying. I am sure there were good reasons Juanita's standard beat out my violet and her own PW.....Im just saying he didn't seem to have them in front of him at all, just put them to the end of the table, lol.

If he studied each chin even up against the standard or ebony....I would have understood and been fine with that, I just think more time could have been spent "admiring" and comparing the other section winners :)

Usually there is someone who has spare ear tags at Empress shows. They will tag your animal for you if you want. If you want your animal tagged contact the chairperson of the show. They will be able to give you info on how to arrange it.

Dave goes a lot on eye appeal. It does not take long to weed out the ones that don't "pop" at you, or at least don't pop as much, when going for champion female/male, that's why they were moved down the table without getting to the nitty gritty.

Dave usually has observers behind the table with him - he didn't this time because Paul was training, but if you make it to the NY show or next year's Atlantic Chapter show, you can ask to observe with him. He loves to talk as he deliberates so you will get inside his head a bit. =)

Ive been behind the table with him before, I think it was at one of the Port Ewen shows. It is very interesting to listen to him talk and bounce thoughts off you. Definitely learn a lot thats for sure. I wasn't up there for the final table though, so that would be neat to do.

You have to remember that Dave had already seen the animals once. In his mind he already knew who he really liked. He looked at the others, but didn't need to spend a lot of time with them.

I like that all of the animals are shown together. If I have a mute that does well, I want to know how it does against all competition. To me, it means more.

I do go to Empress shows when I can. I enjoy the difference in the formats. I have been to the Jenera show many times. They used to allow members of MCBA to show even if they are not members of ECBC, but I believe that changed several years ago and you must be a member to show.

I want to see where the shows are with Empress before I think about joining. If there is only one near me (the Ohio one) then it might not be worth it for me to pay a membership fee if I am not attending the shows.

Becky, that makes sense. He has already seen which chins he likes the best, and Im sure it stands out in his head.
But I agree with you that if a mute of mine does well, I want to know how it does against all competition.
Im not only saying all of this just because of my girl, but I saw a few other beauties on that table that he just passed over as well. Just didn't really think about why he did....but I guess if he already has it in his head without having to look over them again, it makes sense why he jumped right to the standard, black and ebony chins :)

Back