What about rocks in the cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

djeaton

My wife thought that since Chins come from a rocky environment, she'd put a couple of 4"x4"x6" or so (whatever the standard size is) paver stones in the cage. She loves them. Hops up on them and just crouches there looking over everything. Just wanted to make sure there isn't some reason not to do this.
D.

Last edited:
My wife thought that since Chins come from a rocky environment, she'd put a couple of 4"x4"x6" or so (whatever the standard size is) paver stones in the cage. She loves them. Hops up on them and just crouches there looking over everything. Just wanted to make sure there isn't some reason not to do this.
D.

I'm not sure what "paver stones" are...but as long as the chin isn't chewing the stone and it is cleaned before being put in the cage I'd guess it'd be fine.

I mean I wouldn't go into your garden or garden store and just throw anything in there...maybe someone else will have a more specific answer for that type of stone

You can always soak it in bleach water, rinse and then bake it 250 or 300° until it is dry. The only thing I would worry about with rocks or pavers or anything along those lines is that they'd be harboring some weird bacteria or be porous enough to start growing bacteria.

Cleaning and baking the rocks or pavers is a good idea because that would kill the bacteria and come pretty close to sterilizing them. I don't use rocks or pavers because they're so heavy and it would mean a lot of work for me to start!

I thinks its a great idea. I'm actually going to be putting some in my cages. I'd be sure they are not too porous. Just be sure your not stacking them so they could fall. And be sure to clean them.

I really like the idea of putting rocks in the cage too but I don't have a clue where to start, what would be safe etc. The Chin on the Rocks website looks good - does anyone know if there is a UK supplier of that sort of thing?

wow Chin on the Rocks.....I'm definitely adding that to my bookmarks!! Must save money...again

We're trying to give her different levels and textures to play with/on. One of her favorites is an empty cereal box we put in there. She crawls in it and it is a bit bouncy when she jumps on/off it. She seems to really like it. Maybe since someone else is already selling rocks, I can sell empty cereal boxes.... LOL
D.

Wow! What a great find! definately fav ing that! Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back