Weird Toe thing??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarklark

Problem 1
I have had my chin for about a month.. or less. And I always noticed that on the most inner toe on both feet always looked funny.

I took a closer look. And it looked like something green was on them. And oddly its on both feet in the same spot. Right before the toe nail. I took him out of the cage for a moment to look closer and it looked like a calus? but it was green.

Looking at all the toes the two with the green-thing.. are a little more red. And it pushes the hair in a weird direction.

The women who have him before me, had very poor cage conditions. He was on a wire floor cage. Now he is in a cage without the wire floor. But plenty of space to pee. No moisture problems.

Problem 2
My room is Air Conditioned. It stays at 72 all day and night long.
My Chin teds to now lay on his side on top of his wood houses. I thought when chins get overheated they do that. I freaked out. He then looked at me like I was nuts and went back to sleep.. Any clue why he is doing that? lol

The sleeping...lots of chinchillas sleep on their sides it isn't a clear sign of over heating. The green on the toes???? Can you get photos?

Maybe his foot is dirty. Just because she used wire floors it doesn't mean that it caused any problem - the floors would need to be very dirty regardless of the floor for him to have a problem. Another thing, if you have had this chin for more than a couple of weeks, it's likely that if he has a problem it did not come from the breeder.

Chinchillas have calloused paw pads on their feet and toes...so I don't know what the problem is...you need to post a picture.

No worries about the toes. I took a closer look. It was just some dirt in his toe hair. They have really hairy feet!

Glad his toes are ok. However I would keep the temp 70 and under, 72 is not very ideal and not going to make for an active chin especially if he is not used to the current environment. If he does it constantly it may be too hot for him. It doesn't mean he is having heat exhaustion or stroke but when chins get hot they do lay on their sides. Try to make it a bit cooler.

Back