Weird behavior question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanderslovee

My youngest chin(Skye) who is almost a year old now has been in the same cage as our two other chins(Sydney and Sheila) since she was 5 months old. We gave them the necessary time to get to know each other and they got along fine, without rushing things we finally put them together in the same cage. For a while she has been making the kacking noise
http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/bedr_e.htm
or the "defense sound" on the chinchilla sounds website. However, instead of acting defensive she makes this noise mainly when she jumps on the other two chins when they are huddled together. She doesn't bite them or anything, and the other chins don't pay much attention when she does it. I'm just really confused and hoping she isn't stressed out.

Thanks so much for your replies. :]

Hello fellow Sunnyvale person! Watch for fur tufts or agressive behavior that angers the other chins, watch her weight since she will lose some if stressed.

It is possible that something is scaring her and she's reacting to it. She runs to the other girls because that's her family where she feels safe. It's also possible that she's simply playing, she may call to them to say "I'm coming to get you!", and it's possible the older girls just don't care to play.

Being almost a year it could also be a possible change due to hormones. Sometimes when chins first start coming into heat regularly they can do some strange things, it's possible that she's in heat and looking for attention.

Each chin is like a person in the fact that I can say one thing, and mean it in one way. You might say the same thing and mean it in a totally different way.

Although that site offers a range of chin sounds, I don't feel that their captions are necessarily true. For example for baby sounds it says:
Whenever a baby sniffs at its mother ( nose by nose), it always squeaks in a very loud and high way (bquiek1.wav). In this way it signals to its mother wanna be fed and mothered.

Babies can "sniff at" their mother and no squeak, they can "wanna" be fed and mothered and not make a call as well. I have adults who also make this call usually at me, or another chin, I doubt they are waiting for me to mother and feed them.

I'm also never to invested in the information on a site that says " chinchillas are booty animals" to describe their sounds.

Latest posts

Back