Weight?

• Thread starter burritothechinchilla
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

burritothechinchilla

I am wondering if anyone had a weight chart for Chichillas. Like Age vs. Weight. Or if someone could just tell me the average weight of an 11 week old female chinchilla. Thanks.:)

Chinchillas all vary in sizes. You are not going to get one set weight for a chin. I'm not sure what the "average" weight of an 11 week old is, but as long as the chin is eating a high quality pellet & hay, it should be fine.

Most say the average weight of a full grown chinchilla is around 500-600 grams. I have several that are way over that, and some that are right in between.

Totoro was born on 6/1/09, so she's about 11 weeks now, and she weight 338g last night. I think Burrito is at the right weight range. Do you weight Burrito everyday at about the same time? As long as it's gaining weight, it should be fine.

Usally, we wean kits at 6-8 weeks and they're over 200 grams - yours is right there, at this stage!

I do every week because mine are still young. When they are all grown, you won't expect them to get bigger.....I like to make sure mine are gaining....although they have seem to his a plateau currently and are staying close to 415/426 grams at around 5 months? (I don't know for sure of their age). I am sure it is temporary....but I can make sure it doesn't go down at least. Another weird thing....the one that weighs only 10 grams more looks a lot bigger.....fur and bone structure can really change the look of the size of a chin. Also, the smaller one has gained more in the past month than the bigger one....but the big one runs on the wheel a lot and eats a bit less.

I have been keeping track of chinchilla weights using excel. I have a chart set up that calculates the average weight. I have included all of my chins and also, information I found on the web. At 11 weeks, my chart shows an average of 305 grams. So, according to my information. your chin is right on track.

This may be a dumb question....but how on earth do you weigh a chin?? I bought a scale that has a flat weighing surface, and I put some dust on it to see if Mischki would just hop on, but she won't stay on for more than two seconds.
Is there any tips or advice you can give me? Thanks!

I actually use one of those plastic herp/lizard carriers with the cover.
You can either put the carrier on the scale and then tare it, or just weigh it beforehand and take note of the weight and then subtract that from the overall weight.

So I take the chin, plop it into the carrier, put the cover on, and then put on the scale.

Works real well.

I actually use one of those plastic herp/lizard carriers with the cover.
You can either put the carrier on the scale and then tare it, or just weigh it beforehand and take note of the weight and then subtract that from the overall weight.

So I take the chin, plop it into the carrier, put the cover on, and then put on the scale.

Works real well.

:thumbsup: I do exactly what Allison does just with a different carrier.

I finally weighed Mischki today. I bribed her with a cheerio ;)

She is weighing at 428g, and she is 5 months and about 2 weeks old. Is that about right for weight?

As stated, weights can vary greatly but in general, that is a fine weight :)).

As long as you notice your chin is eating her food and hay and acting normal, I wouldn't weigh her every day either, maybe like every few weeks if you are worried. But all chins do all weigh different, just like people. My smallest chin is only alittle above 500 grams while my biggest one is alittle over 850 grams.

Latest posts

Back