Weight Gain Per Kit?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

I know there isn't an exact answer, but i'm very curious as to whether or not there is an idea/range of weight gain per kit in a pregnant female. I have a female that is at 750g normally and is at 986g right now and due anytime. I'm really hoping she only has two, but I guess the chances of that are low :( Has anyone paid attention/have any idea? Thanks!

I've been keeping tabs on my females - to see if I can find a trend.
There is none! haha
I've had a female gain only 107 grams and have trips, I've had a female gain 161 grams and have 1 - and most recently my girl Jelo gained 293 grams and had quints.

No rhyme or reason!

I've been tracking mine for years and there is no correlation between weight gain and number of kits. There is a correlation to litter size and certain lineage, but you'd need previous generation litter history for that.

Can only add my recently kept information. I don't try to guess what the birth might bring. Just happy when they are born healthy.

Weight gain 126 g = single birth
Weight gain 228g = triplets
Weight gain 246 g = quads

I have had a female gain about 175g for a single litter. It depends on the female and where she gains weight. Not all of the weight gained during pregnancy is for the baby, the mothers need to store up fat to be able to rear the kits as well.

They seem to gain right around 200 grams for a litter...sometimes more and sometimes less. Sometimes a WHOLE LOT more. I've had mother chins pack on over 300 grams and have one little average sized kit. Gavrielle had one baby and still looks like she's pregnant after nursing him for a couple weeks. So much of what they gain is fat...wait, that's what Tab was saying. :D

Latest posts

Back