weight and how to measure it.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedom

I bought a small scale off of eBay and didn't realize that it was not in grams. I also don't know how to do the tare part. I get it on there and then it changes while I try to get a wiggly chin in the carrier. I need some tips please. does 1.4 pounds sound right for a nine month old female? and then my 5 and half male weights .15 less. help:hair:

She weighs about 635 grams, that sounds fine...but weight varies from chin to chin. You can calculate grams by multiplying the pounds by 454. (There are 454 grams in a pound, 454 grams/lb X weight in lbs = weight in grams)

Use a small box like a shoe box or something with a lid. Put the box and lid on the scale, hit tare and let it zero out. Then put the chin the box with the lid on and get your weight.

I hope this helps. I weigh a lot of chins... :D

If a box doesn't seem to work for you, maybe try using a tall cylinder. i use an old tall container that had once held chocolate milk powder. The cylinder is high enough from the ground that the chins seem to think the top is a perch and will stay up there still for a bit. I added some weight to the container to prevent it from becoming top heavy with a chin on it. You'd still have to zero out the scale, but it works really well for me.

Back