Wedding Attire?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinch

Ok guys, I've got a question for you, dont laugh, well ok, you can laugh as long as you give me an answer! ;)

I will be attending my first wedding this September, I live in Illinois, and my boyfriend will be a groomsman in the wedding, so he'll be wearing a tux.

I am not in the wedding party, however I will still be going to the wedding.

It's going to be a real nice wedding, in a real nice location in downtown Chicago, the family has a lot of money, so I'm assuming it's going to be pretty fancy, however, it is not going to be like black tie required or anything like that.

I am supposed to wear a short dress correct? Like a cocktail dress or something? Something that hits a little above the knees/at the knees/a little below the knees type dress?

I wouldnt wear a floor length dress or a "ball gown" type dress unless it was black tie mandatory right?

I know this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check and make sure before I buy a dress.

Dont know if it matters, but I am 27 years old too.

Thanks in advance!!!

You want to wear something 'fancy'. It can be a full length gown or a 'cocktail' dress or even a fancy pant suit - whatever you fell comfortable in. Women have a lot more options than men at wedding attire. No such thing as a stupid question.

Well, I've looked online, and saw a few real pretty floor length gowns, dont know if they would look good on ME, but I figured I would probably look so stupid and be the only one wearing a floor length gown!

What did the invitation say?

Honestly, you will not find many younger people in floor length gowns or pant suits. The bride, her mother, mother in-law and grandparents will probably be the only ones wearing floor length gowns or a pant suit.

A cocktail dress will be fine. Find something you can wear again.

We havent got the invitation yet. And, really doubt I'll be wearing it again, not a dress kind of girl, unless it is a summer maxi dress, then I'm all for it!

A black dress for a wedding?? I was told many times never wear black at a wedding unless you don't like either the bride or the groom and don't think the marriage will last

A black dress is timeless and classic. Heck, I was just at a wedding and the bridesmaids were in black. I'm guessing the wedding will probably be black tie optional (from the sounds of the location). You want to be in something classic, not bold and flashy. Just don't wear white or cream.

A black dress for a wedding?? I was told many times never wear black at a wedding unless you don't like either the bride or the groom and don't think the marriage will last

See I heard that about knives. That anyone who gives the couple any knives is wishing ill-will. And my mom wouldn't let me put knives on my registry which I have none beyond one carving knife, a few steak knives, some butter knives, and this $1 paring knife from target that I basically use for EVERY cutting I do beyond meat or buttering something(best $1 I ever spent in the kitchen).

I have learned that in Asian cultures you want to make sure you give your card in a red envelope as a white one is wishing the couple to fail because white is the color of death.

As long as you look classy you will be fine, so just avoid those mircodresses, which I see no point in as anyone I see that wears them just looks like they are working the corner, and obviously no jeans or khakis for a woman at how nice this affair sounds.

I wore a sleeveless full length summer dress to my sister's wedding and was perfectly comfortable and still presentable. I believe whatever you are comfortable wearing. I really don't think there is a dress code for the observers. I've seen people formally dressed, to people in jeans.

She is not just an observer - she is going to the reception

I don't see anything about her going to the reception, just that she is attending the wedding. If I missed it, it means I need to go to bed! lol. But that doesn't change my opinion at all as to what she can wear to the wedding and/or reception. Anything that looks nice and she feels comfortable wearing.

I don't know about Illinois, but in the south, as long as it is nice outside, a 3/4 length nice sun dress all the way to a knee length LBD (maybe red as well) is wedding appropriate. Nothing too businesslike or risque. Just remember, nobody wants to trip over your luggage at the wedding, so keep it to a small bag or a clutch if you carry anything.

(Where does this come from? I am a 26 year old guy. But I know what my older cousins and female roommate tell me.)

September is still pretty warm in Chicago. Whatever you decide just make sure you're comfortable in it and it fits right. The last thing you want to do is fidget, pull or tug on it all night long.

Sorry I forgot about the reception part, I will be attending the wedding AND the reception, and my boyfriend will be a groomsman wearing a tuxedo. In pictures, I just dont want to look stupid next to my boyfriend who will be wearing that full tux.

hehe, I'll try to make sure I'm wearing a shirt, but I can't guarantee that my shoes will stay on the entire time!

Right about now is actually a great time to buy wedding appropriate dresses. If you're worried about looking under dressed next to your boyfriend, my suggestion would be to go to sears/jc penney/deb and look at the cocktail/tea length dresses. You can't go wrong with one that hits just above or below the knee. As everyone else has said, make sure you're comfortable, both physically and that you don't feel self-conscious in the dress (that's the problem I typically have with dresses). The "prom dress fabrics" with the built in petticoats are usually really cute and will look fancy enough for a wedding. You should post a picture after you've found it so we can see! I love weddings. -drinks all around-

Back