We lost one

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sherry Elaine

Sadly, the first kit that was born this morning didn't make it. I noticed after she was born that she had her eyes closed and she barely moved. George stayed with them today, and he said the kit never moved around like our other ones did after they were born. We went to dinner, and when we came back, we noticed that Zoey was sitting on her and that she wasn't moving. We checked and she had passed. When we removed the body, Zoey became really upset and we were afraid she would ignore the remaining kit. The second kit that was born, nearly an hour after the first, was only 39 grams. We have named her Phoebe. We will keep a close eye on her. We had another kit born here that weighed only 38 grams, and now she is a fat piggy. I am so incredibly sad, and I know poor Zoey is too.

Here is the second kit. My heart isn't as excited now, but can anyone guess what color she is: beige or brown velvet?

DSCF5454.jpg

I'm going to cry in a hot bath now.

Sorry for your loss - it happens!
As for the healthy one, whether she's beige or brown velvet probably can't be determined for a few weeks - they change up to 3 months old!
Good luck with her, she's a keeper!

I've experienced my first dead kit, and it is very sad!! Phoebe looks like a little darling. My guess is beige for the time being.

Oh no. I'm so sorry about the little fuzzie. Poor Zoey. :( Pheobe is definitely a cutie though. Looks like a beige right now, but I know they can get darker as time passes. Keeping our fingers and toes crossed that Pheobe stays strong and healthy.

I am so sorry for your loss. It may happen, but it is never easy...

Phoebe is adorable and I wish her the strength and heart to grow big and strong for you.

Sherry I'm sorry to hear about your little girlie. I know how hard it is to lose those little babies. Hugs to you and George! Scritches to Zoey!

I'm so sorry about your kit. :( I hope Phoebe grows up healthy and happy.

I'm so sorry about the little one. Sometimes they are just not meant to make it. Love to Zoey.

Phoebe is a little sweetheart - as far as color, she could be a brown velvet. Does she have stripes on her front paws? Although that's not ALWAYS the case, they are usually visible in kits. Also, if you could get a pic of her face it would be a better predictor for the color.

How's Zoey doing with Phoebe now? Sending lots of thoughts your way for your loss and hoping that mom and baby are doing well.

Sorry about the little one. We all know that this type of thing can happen, but, it doesn't make it any easier when it does. Hopefully, Zoey and Phoebe will be alright.

BTW, love the name, Phoebe. It's one of my grand daughter's name. Her full name is Phoebe Leanne Martin and she's just a doll, just like your Phoebe is.

Phoebe was strong and running everywhere last night. This morning she seemed lethargic. I rushed around the corner to my friend's house (she's a breeder) to have her hand feed her since I had the supplies but no experience. She wouldn't take any of the formula. Then she tried putting her with one of her nursing moms who just had a kit a few days ago. The chinchilla mom cleaned her and tried scooting her under her, but Phoebe was too weak to nurse. As we were driving the 2 mile distance back home, she stretched out on her side and gasped for air. She died before we got home.

I barely knew the kits, but I'm just so crushed.

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry. Best wishes for you and Zoey. That must be so hard.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know words don't have much meaning now, but I hope you can find some comfort soon, and that the pain you feel now will turn to happy memories soon. hugs:(

I'm just very grateful that my husband was thoughtful enough to take pictures that morning, so at least I have that. :(

Back