water bottle brand that actually works?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoaea

O.o
So anyone have multiple water bottles from the same company that always work?

This is the third water bottle I've had that randomly won't let my chinchillas drink after working for months! What's worse is it was with my chin that is nursing.

I had one that worked perfectly for years and now all its replacement bottles fail on me.

Lixit, super pet (glass), and one other generic bottle are what I've gone through so far.

I had that problem a lot with the Super Pet glass bottles. Now I've been using the glass bottles with rubber stoppers and glass tips (like the ones the Ryersons sell) for a number of years now. Works well for me.

I like the ones Sumiko is talking about but I get annoyed at what I call the "slow drip"(sounds like am STI), and excessive water in the pan, especially with wall surfing hyper chins ;) I personally use the Edstrom Water Buddy type...the copies work fine....Lixit Quick Fill plastic bottles. But they require a chew guard (and its super hard to find those). The other downside is they can't be put through the dishwasher so they have to be washed by hand. They typically last me a couple years before needing to be replaced. I really don't think there is an ideal water bottle to be honest. Everything has some downside. You have to find one that works for you.

Ryan, you're right... in my wire-sided cages with walls that move when the chins bounce around, I do get some dripping. In my wood - sided runs, not so much since everything is a little more solid.

I use Lixit's, both the 8oz and 16oz glass ones and have no issues. I get a lot of super pet ones that come in with rescues and find they always leak.

I use the Edstrom Water buddies ones. Unfortunately they don't make them any more. I have some new ones that are my spares. I also have another type that uses the same nozzle if I can find them. These ones are clear and red I think. I had them for years just don't remember where they are. You flip the top to pour the water which is nice.

Yea the one I had for year that finally broke a few years ago was a top fill lixit. The replacement I got would drip until there was 25% left. But I think the metal stick was bent.

I guess I can hunt down more of those (I found them hard to find) or order some that sumiko uses!

I have all super pet and Kaytee bottles. I had major problems with them leaking or not letting down water. I sent a complaint email and they sent me 4 free bottles. I have figured out a way to ensure that they work, and it is about 90 percent effective. They still leak sometimes and they still won't let water out sometimes but they work MOST of the time.

When you unscrew the lid, shake out all water left in the stem. Look into the lid and make sure the rubber stopper is pushed down as far as possible. Fill the bottle up ALL the way, to the point where the surface tension is holding the water in a "bubble" slightly above the opening of the bottle. Put the cap straight on (some will probably spill down the sides) and screw it on very tightly. Don't flip it over until you are ready to leave it that way so no air bubbles get trapped in the stem. When you get to the cage flip it over and tap the ball several times until you see tiny bubbles consistently rising to the too when you tap it.

This has worked for me! Like I said there are still some issues occasionally and I am ALWAYS worried about it, but I wasn't going to waste all of those water bottles that I got for free

Back