Water bathing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcmindes

I have 3 chins-- 2 females in one cage and a male in a cage next to the females. They like to interact, but my youngest chin, Lily, is one of those pee-ers-- on the walls, the wheel, etc. And she sprayed my male, Pina. I read lots of your posts and finally decided I had to really wash Pina, because he has begun to pull out his fur where he was sprayed. I used a small amount of baby shampoo, lukewarm water, and a diffuser on my blow dryer to dry him (on cool setting). I was very hesitant about doing this, but it was just fine!! Pina did seem to like the water enough and I towel dried him very well. He didn't mind the diffuser either-- actually got on it and I was able to dry his belly really well. Am so glad I did this-- he has actually chewed the fur off his front legs and part of his belly. He is now clean! I did give him a long sand bath (fresh sand) after he was dry. Thanks for the instructions!

I have 3 chins-- 2 females in one cage and a male in a cage next to the females. They like to interact, but my youngest chin, Lily, is one of those pee-ers-- on the walls, the wheel, etc. And she sprayed my male, Pina. I read lots of your posts and finally decided I had to really wash Pina, because he has begun to pull out his fur where he was sprayed. I used a small amount of baby shampoo, lukewarm water, and a diffuser on my blow dryer to dry him (on cool setting). I was very hesitant about doing this, but it was just fine!! Pina did seem to like the water enough and I towel dried him very well. He didn't mind the diffuser either-- actually got on it and I was able to dry his belly really well. Am so glad I did this-- he has actually chewed the fur off his front legs and part of his belly. He is now clean! I did give him a long sand bath (fresh sand) after he was dry. Thanks for the instructions!

Ok, glad the bath worked for you, I really wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis. If Lily is being that aggressive towards him then you need to move the cages farther apart so she can't spray him. Males and females shouldn't interact unless they are being bred by knowledgeable breeders. Even if the cages are 2-3 inches apart they can still breed (yes it does happen).

I've had a chin get bred through a closed run...

I've water bathed before for certain situations, it's stressful on the chin usually and they tend to blow their coats easily doing it. I would move or separate ( a large piece of cardboard, plexiglass, etc ) so they don't have any access. Sometimes being around females without access to them can stress a male out to start chewing. Not always, but it has happened.

Back