Was just wondering... what happens to the chins if something happens to you?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greychins

NWI Chinchillas
So...I was in the ER a couple of weeks ago (nothing life-threatening) and my mom is currently in the hospital following a hip replacement... all these hospital visits had us talking about what would happen to the chins if something happened to us.

In my case, my mom has her single pet chin, I have my pets and breeders, and then I have the rescues. I'm really the only one involved in the household for the chins. My mom might step in to help with something here and there (washing water bottles, refilling our filtered water jugs), but doesn't actually care for the chins - I even care for hers (though we won't get into that). She does know how to care for them though.

In our discussions, my mom said she wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with the chins. Without going to the chin room, I can tell you the name of every chin that's down there, it's preferences, about how long we've had it, etc etc. My mom can't even remember the names (much less the colors) of our first four chins, which we still own, and have owned for about 10 years now. The cages are all labeled with names, but even so I do not believe she could pick our first four out of the bunch.

Basically, what it boiled down to is that if something happened to me, she would close the rescue and sell all the chins (except her own, of course). That would actually be for the best, as she does not have the passion I have for the chins and the rescue, and the chins would suffer as a result (she already tells me I spend considerably too much time with them). Obviously, this isn't the outcome I would like.... but none of my friends would take in the chins, and most relatives wouldn't even be quite sure what they are if they went into the chin room... and there's no one who would pick up the rescue work.

So this brings me to ask - what would happen to your chins if something happened to you? Do you have a family member who would watch them or take them in? Would they be re-homed? Has anyone talked to family members about this sort of thing, like just in case? Anyone have a provision in their will saying their pets go to someone specific or someplace specific? I'm just curious if anyone else has thought about this...

I have some very serious health issues, and I have made emergency arrangements for mine if I have to give them up very suddenly in an emergency.

For long term care, the breeder from whom I got The Snuggler has agreed to take both him and Mr. Whiskers, since they are bonded, until I can have them again. Little Two Paws could stay with a local friend of mine, since he is a special needs chin.

If the worst happens, I jokingly say that the boys are my only heirs, but one of my sisters loves them and has said that she would take them.

This is a good topic, because we ALL need to have a plan of action for many types of emergencies, both short term and long term. I'd say that it is right up there with having an emergency vet at the ready. :thumbsup:

I haven't thought about it previously, but in a case where both my husband and I wouldn't be able to care for them, I guess they would go to my parents. However, they don't know anything about chin care and they feed their cat whatever cheap crap is in the grocery store. I should write up specific care instructions, and perhaps they would go to my parents or a rescue but would only be in the hands of someone who is willing to continue giving them specific care, food, hay, time for play, etc.

Lucky for her - mine all go to Becky! I might have a few here or there that would go to individuals, but the bulk go to Becky.

I should write up specific care instructions, and perhaps they would go to my parents or a rescue but would only be in the hands of someone who is willing to continue giving them specific care, food, hay, time for play, etc.

Just had to comment on this - specific care instructions are only as good as the intentions/actions of the person they are given to. I once wrote up a care sheet and specific notes on each chin for when I went out of town... actually done on the REQUEST of the person who was going to be caring for the chins. The person who came to care for them (won't name no names, lol) had good intentions, but in the end told me that they just didn't feel like reading the list to see if any of the chins had any special needs or anything. It was like, what did I write it out for? Now, this was years ago, when we only had like 5 chins, so it's not the 32 chins (about half ours, half rescues) that we have now. I could see someone not wanting to read a list of 32 different chins with 32 different needs/wants/likes, but we're talking a list of like 5 chins, and only ONE had any sort of special requirement (we have a lazy chewer who gets more of a variety of hay and oat hay). The sheet I gave them wasn't even anything complicated - it just said something like if there was an empty water bottle, don't re-fill it, put another one up... make sure they all have pellets, make sure they all have hay... and then just a note about "oh this one likes the rolled oats, this one prefers cheerios..." I mean basic basic stuff...but they just didn't care the way I know I would if I was watching someone else's pets.

As of right now my sister would be the godmother if something happened to me, but I do plan on asking a friend who has had some experience with chins if he would consider being a godfather.

If someone loved their plants and wanted a certain type to listen to classical and another to rock, I would respect their wishes. Guess I expect the same of anyone who I would allow to babysit or assume care for my future fluff ball.

I think a care sheet is a written/verbal agreement and should be lawfully protected.

I have told the family to rehome them. My son is supposed to feed and water them but I have to remind about three times, so he would kill them, but he would never admit that and thinks he is great with them. My husband could do it but doesn't want to. The best thing I or they could do is post the situation here.

My boyfriend/family knows that they go to people on here. I have several people in my "chin will" that my boyfriend knows to contact to see if they want any of my boys.

Yeah, My boyfriend would probably post here and hopefully someone on the forum would take one or more in. I guess I better figure this one out :( My boyfriend talked about keeping them, but he said it would be too difficult to keep them? I probably need to bring this up to him again...

My husband is just as involved with the chins as I am so he would take care of them if something happened with me. If something happened to us both they would go to the breeder who sold them to us.

If something was to happen to me, my bf would look after them. If something happened to both of us my mom would take them in, she looks after them when we go to my bfs moms so i know she can care for them. If for some other reason my mom couldnt take them in i have two sisters who would be able to care for them, Tracey (middle sister) would know how to care best for them as she introduced me to Lola and knows whats good for them and whats not. Sarah (oldest sister) has never had a chinchilla before but i know she would find all the information out their to look after them properly, also my neice would put her on the right track as she likes to help out with the chinnies as much as possible.

Only have one chin at the moment so I can't speak on the same level as a lot of you. But my mom's passion for Meeka has grown hand in hand with mine. Some days I think she's plotting to steal her from me! Anyway, I wouldn't have any problem, Meeka would be living the same happy life, minus me of course.

Lucky for her - mine all go to Becky! I might have a few here or there that would go to individuals, but the bulk go to Becky.

I better be one of those individuals! ;)

My boyfriend/family knows that they go to people on here. I have several people in my "chin will" that my boyfriend knows to contact to see if they want any of my boys.

Yours too :D!

As far as my boys are concerned, I have the same thing going on as Stacie does, with the exception of 1 or 2 chins that my daughters would want to keep.

My husband would definitely keep the first two....he's really bonded. beyond that I suspect he would rehome any others, should I pass... If it's just a temporary thing, he'd take care of them for the duration.

Should something minor happen to me like a surgery and and a stay in the hospital my son would care for them as he has in the past.

Should I die my family has instructions on who to notify--they have my user name and password to the forum and know they need to contact Peggy so my account here can be handled and deleted. They know to contact Sandi--not only because she is my best friend, but also because she would take my chins until she could find a good home for them. I have instructions the girls all need to stay together.

I know many of us don't think about these things but after the death of my sister 2 years ago I learned how important it is to have your requests written down. To have your accounts and passwords listed for them so your family knows how to access them.

my parents really love my chin, so they would never give her up and would take great care of her. they're really happy to learn and play with ruby as she learns and grows. so i'm happy about that!

It's up to my husband. If I am incapacitated or die, he'll figure out what to do. I'm sure he will try to sell off the chins or find homes for them. There's not many people left that could take on the entire herd all at once so he'll probably have to take some time off of work to do that.

Honestly, I am not too worried about it. I will care for them to the best of my ability for as long as I can. I can't control what will happen in my life and as long as I have my husband he can figure out what to do if something happens to me. He knows my vet and close chinchilla contacts, so it will all work out.

Mine go back to their respective breeder/rescue, per the contract. However, I know of at least 2 people- possibly 3- that might want them should something happen to me. I figure between their original homes and my friends, they'll be safe. It's my cat I'm worried about the most tbh. :(

I have thought about this before, and I really don't have anyone I trust to look after Sebastian if I were gone. If I were just in the hospital for a while, Derek (the bf) would take care of him, but Sebastian bites him whenever he gets the chance. He would not take care of Sebastian in the long term. Actually I don't think he would take care of any of our pets long term. My parents would take my cats, but they've already said they would not want to keep Sebastian. My mom said she would sell him on CL. :( There's always the possibility my sister may care for him, but she's not an excellent caregiver. Hopefully if anything happened and she did take him, she'd come here for advice.

Back