Wanting to add a new member of the family :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexy114

Hey guys! I just recently moved into a new apartment that's bigger than my old one, and I really want to get a cat.

Has anyone on here gotten a cat after getting a chinchilla? How do you go about picking out a cat that doesn't want to bother the chin?

I really have my heart set on adding a cat to our little family, but I want to do it right without causing stress to my chin Momiji. And of course I'd take proper care to make sure the cat is in another room when Momiji was let out to play, in case anyone was wondering.

First of all, I just have to say that Momiji is such a cute name!! (I love Fruits Basket)

If you get a young enough kitten, it should be fine with your chin. As long as you make sure they don't play together, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks! I love Fruits Basket!!!

I was thinking that an older cat that was out of his kitten years would be best, but maybe not? I'm not really sure what to do...

You would have to know a lot about the older cat's personality. Some have more of a predatory instinct towards other pets in the house, and others are content to ignore them.

Either way, you should keep them in separate areas at all times (even the cage). Cats can spread pasteurella to chins, which is deadly to them. So, honestly, as long as you keep them separated (which you should), the personality shouldn't matter. I have a VERY high drive cat, but I don't have to worry because she and the chins are never in contact anyway.

Good luck getting your cat! :)) Perhaps you could adopt one from a shelter and they'd be able to tell you a little about their personality. :))

Where is your chin kept in the apartment? What sort of cage is it in? There will be your best defenses against any cat, although cats should be kept away from chins anyway. Cats and chins can live in the same household, you just have to be adamant about keeping contact (even through the cage) non existant to minimal. Therefore, age of the cat really doesn't matter because the same precautions need to be taken regardless.

He's in my bedroom right now, which gives me the most control over access. It's a pretty large cage, but is light enough to move around.

I'm definitely adopting from a shelter :) and I'm really excited!!

That's so great to hear! :thumbsup:

Yup :) I was actually considering giving an older cat a home... since they rarely get adopted over the available kittens, you know?

Maybe my cat and chin will become long distance buddies!! :)

We got our cat when we already had Chinchy. Verde (the cat) is a rescue who's 2 years old and she's very sweet but is also fairly jealous at first. She hissed once at Chinchy once she met him, and hasn't since. We keep them separated during playtime because he's very aggressive with her (oddly enough) and she's sort of scared of him. Even so, sometimes she'll watch him in his cage with this intense look of curiosity. She's not predatory around him at all, just alternately curious and scared. Overall, she's adjusted very well. I do think kittens would be very predatory, just because they're playful and don't listen to commands or nuances in tones of voice as older cats do. Verde learned very quickly that Chinchy was off limits.

Back