walnut shells

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

are walnuts ok for chins to chew on?
kishi got a wood toy with a nut inside, to be on the safe side i took the walnut out, but are they safe for them to chew on?

I would not give my chin nuts, they're too fatty. And as far as just the shell, I'm not sure so either way I wouldn't give it to them.

that's wat i thought, i'm having real trouble finding her a toy that lasts more than a few hours, she chews like a little buzzsaw lol

Try finding some grape wood toys at your pet store. They are very thick and difficult for chins to get through so quickly. I can find grape wood toys in the reptile or bird section. It's all kiln dried stuff with no added chemicals, so it's good to use.

My understanding is that walnuts are toxic. I kind of doubt it was a walnut, but maybe an almond.

I know some people give their chins pumice. I've seen them on many hanging toys. They generally last longer.

One of my chinchillas loves pumice. One piece will last her 15 days to a month but soon its no more then dust. Plus she can throw it and some times I come in and she's just holding it giving it the stink eye as if to say, "I will destroy you if its the last thing I do!"

Pumice is great and so it coconut shells. Some of the people here sell really great toys for better prices then the pet stores. Just look around.

One of my chinchillas loves pumice. One piece will last her 15 days to a month but soon its no more then dust. Plus she can throw it and some times I come in and she's just holding it giving it the stink eye as if to say, "I will destroy you if its the last thing I do!"

haha mine does the same, but they demolish the pumice in about a week!! They're so loud when they throw around the pumice stones, I'd swear they do it on purpose to get your attention!!

My chin doesn't show a whole lot of interest in her pumice, but then again, the only thing she really does show an interest in is her apple sticks!

I bought her a toy one time that included a walnut and she really seemed to go after the shell, but I did become concerned about the nut inside, so I did remove the nut from her toy. She really did like the shell but I wanted to be on the safe side since I didn't know at the time if she should be exposed to nuts.

that Nut Knot was what she was given, i removed the small pegs and took the nut out then gave her the wood sticks,which soon ended up in a small pile of shavings on the floor,i think she has about a stick and a half left

Back