Vision of a Homo beige

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbcstratton

I thought I read somewhere that a homo beige or tan doesn't have as good of vision. Any opinions on this.

I havnt heard that before. Where did you get the information from? There is a lot of misinformation on chinchillas. If that were true than all beige mutes would have eye issues.

In rats with red eyes they will often sway or "weave" because it helps them to see things. Chins don't express this behavior which is common with animals trying to focus on things. So while it is true that some animals with red eyes have some troubles with vision, it is not necessarily so with chins. A lot of people assume all animals are the same. I would imagine that the red eyes would be more sensitive to sunlight, simply due to lack of pigment. This can cause issues with focusing as well. Generally people with blue eyes are more light sensitive than people with darker eyes, but it doesn't mean their vision is worse.

My chins that are homozygous for beige definitely have poorer eyesight and depth perception than their counterparts. Particularly depth perception, when they are first learning a new area they hit the walls and the middle of raised objects a lot.

It isn't something you'd notice unless you let the babies into a home environment with regular babies of the same age. Most chins use their whiskers to do spatial mapping and their eyes to judge depth and look for danger. Watching a group of 8-10 babies run around with a couple of homo pinkwhites and a homo tan in the bunch is utterly hilarious. Mine at least have a pretty severe impediment. After a couple of times in any given area you can't tell the difference as they memorize their routes. It's only when you change things. :))

I've noticed my beige rescue is easier to startle with fast movements, especially ones near his face, but he doesn't exhibit any of the other signs of vision problems you'd expect with animals with albinism and similar morphs (weaving, squinting, exaggerated reactions to light change, etc.). He tends to "WHOA WHAT THE HAY!" flip out and run if I touch him before he actually sees my hand move, but not if I turn on the overhead light or flick on a flash light in the dark.

Latest posts

Back