violet and saphire?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easterpiggy

Master of the Fuzzies
I was looking at different pictures of all the gene mutations, and after awhile I had a hard time telling them apart. How can you tell a violet from a sapphire? or for that matter an afro violet from either of those. or a sapphire velvet from a violet velvet. HELP!!!:hair:

A sapphire will really have more of a blueish tint to it versus a violet as you would guess is more of a purple tint. Sometimes in people's pictures it's hard to see the sapphire, but if you were to go to a show and see them under proper lights, it's easy to tell.
I do believe that a violet and an Afro-violet are basically the same thing.

Both TOV sapphires and violets would have more veiling and a mask. Again, the difference would be in the tint with sapphires looking more blue.

I don't have pictures, but perhaps someone who breeds these could better show you..

I have a bunch of sapphires here.
picture.php

picture.php

the pictures don't do the color justice. there are also some on my website http://www.abcchinchillas.com I have I think 12 sapphires here might be 11. Dawnna at http://www.chocolatechinchillas.com has beautiful violets and awsome pictures of them on her website. But maybe someone with a violet,sapphire and standard could get a picture of all 3 together in good light...If not when I run down to see Dawnna next I will bring a sapphire and we can try it LOL she takes the best photos

These pictures were taken under show lights, so they show true color pretty well.

Sapphire:
klinger4.jpg

Violet:
inoia4.jpg

And because I see a lot of photos on here where beige is one step away from violet/sapphire and violets/sapphires one step away from beige, here is a beige as well:
srct2a.jpg

The only color of these I currently have is sapphire, so I can't get a shot of all three in the same frame. Essentially, sapphires are a slate blue-gray, violets are a dove gray, and beiges are, well, beige.

An afro violet is a TOV violet, I think it is a UK term.

An afro violet is a TOV violet, I think it is a UK term.

Not quite, Afro or African Violet is just another name for the Sullivan Violet as the mutation originated in Rhodesia. Like Larsen Sapphire, Gunning Black, Tower Beige, Wilson White, etc... we commonly drop African/Sullivan and just say Violet. Ultra Violet is the name sometimes used for TOV Violet.

We are now starting to see two 'types' of violet on the UK Show bench, Afro (or sullivan) Violet and Deutsch Violet.

Etherdale have information here -

http://www.edchinchillas.co.uk/

Select Mutation colours, "Deutsch Violet" for piccies.

They are a seperate violet colour and quite distinctive, they appear to be dark, and I have heard them described as an "Aubergine" colour.

If you saw them in the 'fur' You would see an definite difference. Myself I prefer Sapphires.

Not quite, Afro or African Violet is just another name for the Sullivan Violet as the mutation originated in Rhodesia. Like Larsen Sapphire, Gunning Black, Tower Beige, Wilson White, etc... we commonly drop African/Sullivan and just say Violet. Ultra Violet is the name sometimes used for TOV Violet.

Thank you for clarifying, my bad! I get Ultra and Afro confused for some reason, before I found CnQ I was part of a UK forum and got so confused about the different terms.

But maybe someone with a violet,sapphire and standard could get a picture of all 3 together in good light...If not when I run down to see Dawnna next I will bring a sapphire and we can try it LOL she takes the best photos

Let me know if you do, I'd love to get a good one. Every time I'm at Ronda's something is out of prime or oxidized, hard to get all three colors in perfect lighting, good prime and the right age!

Back