vet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been looking for a vet in my area (middleburg florida) but i dont know which ones are trustworthy and knowledgable about chins. my dogs go to Clay County Animal Hospital. they have always been great with our dogs and love what they do. also when ever money is a problem they really work with you as best they can. im looking for a great vet like that for my future chin. thanks :)

In this area you are going to have to drive a bit. Most of the exotic vets are in Jacksonville. I go to Hidden Hills Animal Hospital and see Dr. Hart. The staff is friendly and once you are an established patient they will allow you do a payment plan on high bills. There is also Riverside Animal Hospital, and the exotic vet there is Dr. Rossi. Lastly there is the Exotic Bird Hospital. I don't know the name of the vet there who see's exotics, but I know it is the only female vet. I know several people who use them but they are very pricey (though also do a good job with chins, especially teeth issues).

It would be probably about an hour, maybe just a little bit more. I drive about 45 min to them, but I find their care completely worth it.

Dr. Stephenson is the vet at the Exotic Bird Hospital and she is great with the chins teeth. I am in the same boat, as I have to drive an hour or more to the vet, but she is worth it when Herby is having tooth trouble.

I have heard good things about Dr. Hart too!

That's her name! Thanks Stephanie.

Like Steph said, they are worth it when it comes to teeth. Luckily I haven't had to use them yet, but when that time comes I will without hesitation. I love Hidden Hills, but the one thing I don't feel overwhelming confidence in is Dr. Hart's ability when it comes to teeth. I have use Dr. Hart before to shave down some spurs, which he did fine with. My issue was with the last rescue that had to see him for it he said his teeth looked fine. Come to find out he barely had any teeth, and the ones he did have were pretty rotten. This means they weren't looked at like they should have been.

ok thanks:)
just one more quick question then i will leave you alone: how often do you have to take them to the vet? ive read on a few websites that you should take them once a year just for a check up to make sure everything is fine. other than that you should only take them when you think something is wrong. is this correct?

I have to take Herby in every few months for filings and trimmings, but that is ONLY because she has re-occurring tooth issues. The other 3 I have, I have never had to take to the vet and I most likely will not, unless a health issue arises. Trips to the vet are traumatic for the china and can lead to udue stresses for them. So, I would say that unless there is a medical issue you need to have addressed, a trip to the vet would not be necessary.

Latest posts

Back