!!!!Vet wouldn't give Metacom after SPAYING a Bunny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkkjstwcl

Hi, all. I decided to adopt my coworker's young bunny. She developed severe allergy and had to give the doe away. I already have a few rabbits and am a good care taker.

But, I told her one condition: TO SPAY HER BEFORE I ADOPT HER.

She agreed and got her spayed just yesterday. This morning, I asked her how the bunny was doing. She said that the bunny had been rolling up as a bawl and didn't move or eat much. It's clear that she is in pain. Think about it! After get some organs out of your body!? Of course it hurts!!!

I asked her if she was taking any pain killers and antibiotic. She said that the vet had told her that that would not be necessary. She asked if she could have them anyway, but the vet insisted that it would not be necessary.
I told her to call the vet this morning and tell them that she needs at least Metacom! She called and told me that the vet told her to watch the bun over night to see how she does. I guess that if the bun were in trouble tomorrow, she would need to take her back to the vet, but my heart is crying thinking about the bunny suffering and will suffer over night. Who knows. They will never give her pain killer.

What do you think? My coworker is taking care of her until she heals, and then I will adopt her. So, the bun is not under my care at this point...

The vet is Humane Society of DC, and vets there operate on cats and dogs only. Except that once a month, a vet who knows operating bunnies would do an operation for a bunny.

Last edited:
Usually after rabbits are spayed they are given an injection of pain medication which should last awhile and is probably why she wasn't given any to take home. I'm guessing that the vet did not want the bun completely pain free because then she could become much more mobile than they should be and end up tearing the stitches/incision site. Is she scheduled for another appointment to go back and check on the incision site to see how she is healing?

If the pain is affecting the bun's appetite, she definitely needs to go back to the vet to either be given more medication, or pain medication needs to be prescribed.

When I worked for for an animal hospital, there was an older dr. there that STILL didn't believe cats or dogs needed anything after spays and neuters. Hopefully that wasn't the case here.

That's how they were with my chihuahua. The pain med injection afterward is optional, and I did get it but that was it. I was instructed to keep her activity to a MINIMUM and try to keep her calm and healing for at least a week, but I pushed it to about two because I'm paranoid like that.

Was this bunny given an injection like that, or nothing at all? If it were nothing at all you and your friend should definitely put an end to that and get that girl some pain medicine so she can relax enough to eat, drink and heal. At LEAST for a whole day!

Thanks for your posts. I keep bugging my coworker to call the vet again...I copied and pasted your opinions...
The bun is still hers and under her care, so I cannot push harder so that she would get the med right away.

She just emailed me back saying:
They told me to call back if she still hasn't eaten by this evening.
I'm going to check on her this evening when I return home, and if she hasn't eaten, I'm bringing her back to the clinic first thing tomorrow morning.

Well, she may be right....
But, I would be freaked out though... I would be running to the vet and banging the door with the bun in my arms wrapped up in a fleece! Also, she is a very busy person....

Anyway.... I have to stop bothering her...
I may have leftover Metacam for my bunny (only a few weeks~month old med). I think that if I do, it would only be one or two doses.... But, even if I found it tonight, the bun will get it tomorrow night cz I will bring it to work tomorrow and she won't go back home til tomorrow night....

Thanks for listening...

Bunnies are suprisingly robust. My rabbit wasn't spayed, but did have a growth removal and was given no meds post-op. You wouldn't even have known she had anything done, she went straight back to eating, thumping and being her jolly ornery self!

Now if yours still isn't close to acting her normal self then you are right in wanting to get her something.

Tweety Arrived!!!!

Thanks for all your replies!!!
Last night, my coworker brought me Tweety. That's the bun's name, but I am going to change her name to a sexy Greek or Italian name soon.

I asked my coworker to keep Tweety for two weeks after spaying surgery because I didn't want to cause any stress to Tweety by moving to her new home after surgery, and also wanted my coworder to be responsible before giving her bun away. I wanted the bun to have been recovered completely and make sure that any treatment would be done by my coworker if any complication arose within two weeks after the surgery.

Tweety is doing great. From now on, I will be 100% responsible to this little girl as her new owner.

Thanks again for your support!!!:)

Attachments

• Tweety1.jpg
    Tweety1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Tweety2.jpg
    Tweety2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Tweety3.jpg
    Tweety3.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 145
  • Tweety4.jpg