Vet visit at 6pm this evening...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhluvsmh

Whisker Kisses Addict
My little doodle bug, Sterling, has had a watery eye for a few days now. We did the rinse with saline a couple times a day to see if maybe she just had something in it but that has not worked so off to the vet we go. It is not red, no discharge, other than looking wet on the fur around it. She is eating, drinking, chewing, pooping like a champ. I have never taken them to the vet and would like to know what to allow and not allow. I have read horror stories about incompetent vets and do not want to subject my baby to anything unnecessary. Your guidance is absolutely wanted and appreciated! Thank you!

The vet will most likely stain the eye and prescribe a occular antibiotic-if its scratched the vet may prescribe a steroidal eye drop which in this case is OK. Vet will most likely do a wellness check such as checking ears and teeth with a otoscope, heart, lungs and guts with a stethoscope, hair ring check, fungus check etc.

It is probably just a simple case of conjunctivitis. It's easy to treat topically with an eye drop (gentamycin is usually what I end up being given) or maybe an ointment. I'd be concerned if the vet gives you oral meds for it or starts wanting to do all sorts of tests. Like Dawn said, the vet should do a general wellness check to see how the animal is doing and if there's any other problems.

Keep us updated on how it goes. I hope that you have found a vet that is knowledgeable and that you like!

Thank you Dawn and Susan! We will be heading out shortly and I will update when we get home. This vet came highly recommended, so we'll see. I am so very nervous!

I have the same thing going on with Scruffy's eyes. I took him to the vet yesterday. They said it looks sensitivity to dust/allergy related. They gave us an anti-inflammatory eye drop to use twice a day. They don't think it's an infection since he was already given a triple antibiotic gel before which didn't help. We didn't use saline for Scruffy, but I don't know if it would help in a case of allergy.

Is there such a thing as Benadryl for chins?

I hope your vet visit went well. I hope your chin gets better. Let us know how it went.

Benedryl can be used for chins but its a last resort and used when the chin is miserable, I used it when the 2 chins sneezed like crazy and had stuffy noses. Both had their snot checked for bacteria and it was negative, the benedryl makes them slightly drunk and sleepy, not great for a chin but it helped during allergy season.

Ok, I have mixed feelings. She seems to think that it is allergies since it is not red, irritated and no signs of infection although she did not do a stain nor look at her teeth. She recommended massage with warm compresses and rinsing with saline. I have talked with the rescue that I got her from and she does not agree with the allergy diagnosis. I like that the vet did not throw antibiotics at it if it's not warranted but...HELP! How long should I wait before finding a new vet, test, treatment?

You say she's eating and drinking like a champ... but have you been tracking her weight? When my little guy was needing his teeth filed I didn't know unless I weighed him. He would eat half a pellet and then put it back in the bowel... or drop them in the bedding, or whatever. It's hard to see a significant drop in pellets depending how many you put in. If you weigh your chin I think you'll easily be able to track whether it is something serious. If it's teeth especially, it's going to have other signs, such as weight loss, drooling, chewing more/less, etc.

I weigh them every 2 weeks. Today, she weighed (701) at the vet and when I weighed her on Saturday she weighed 698. She has been hovering between 685 and 710 for the past 6 months.

I took my chin in on monday for the same thing. He said it was an infection from maybe dust getting in his eye or a scratch from his hay. Gave me a script for the antibiotic eye drops since its cheaper at the pharamcy than the vet. It was 50 dollars but got cvs to give to to me for 20. Hope your chin feels better soon.

i have a little sapphire chin with a habitual watery eye. it is aggrevated by dust and i tried a few different dusts, including that sweet pdz stuff. i try to keep his cage super clean, have plenty of airflow on all sides and dust him less frequently. i will often wipe his eye with saline after he dusts and sometimes when i notice its worse, i give him drops prescribed by the vet and it clears up. his teeth were checked and he eats, pees, poops and plays just fine. i think you should take the vets advice first and see what happens over the course of some time and then if it does not improve, call the vet and let them know you followed the steps and it has not improved. maybe also post what area you are in and someone can recommend a vet.

No improvement today! Will massage and rinse again tonight. She is such a doll baby. Yesterday at the vet, she was so good.

Back