Vet pricing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiKate

For the most part, I understand the prices that vets charge when helping out chins (or any animal for that matter). However, I must say, some things seem a little bit ridiculous!

For example, for an x-ray it's $140 at my vet!! And I checked my receipt after leaving and noticed that they charge $35 to give him medication orally in the office. The SAME medication that they send home with me where I do it just fine on my own for free.

Am I the only one that thinks certain services at Vet offices seem a tad overpriced?!

The radiographs sound about right- we charge $145 at the practice I work at for 2 views. You have to remember that vets have to make a living too as they are running a business. They have to pay for all their supplies, equipment maintenance, and their time. They are also having to compete more and more with online pharmacies, pet stores, and people self diagnosing over the Internet instead of seeking veterinary advice. Though, I agree the $35 charge for just giving medication does seem ridiculous..we don't charge anything for simply giving a dose of medication. Are you sure that wasn't the charge for the medication itself? Some medications cause a fortune to get compounded and the practice has to pay a pretty penny to get some things specially compounded for the exotics.

Unfortunately there are some vets out there that are all about costs. Thankfully the doctor I work for is always willing to try to work with clients are prices.

Last edited:
That is crazy. My vet only charges $40 for an exam and $70 for x-rays (2 views). I have been prescribed baytril for one of my chins and it cost only $10, and they never tried to suck anything else out of me like that ridiculous $35 fee you were charged. They are incredibly reasonable there.

I have 3 different vets for my animals, but my exotics vet is by far the best one. Luckily I haven't had to see him for a while now, but his costs are fair. He also works with me and my budget and only does the work most necessary to get the answers. He has also waived fees before for me when he knew I needed the help. I think some fees are unavoidable, but the really good vets out there know that we all love our animals, and a little generosity goes a very long way!

I think it just feels so expensive to me because chins are such small animals. I'm confident in my vets knowledge of chins (even though I've only been there twice). She really seems to know what she's talking about and they help chins and other small exotics all the time.

For the most part money really isn't an object to me when it comes to tying to help Darrell out but at the same time, I haven't worked for a month because my grandfather just passed plus I'm about to start school so my pockets are wearing thin! It's just bad timing to have to deal with vet costs I guess. Maybe that just makes them seem ridiculously high right now!

My vet is absolutely wonderful and has helped me so much over the years. He's a very dedicated vet and his office staff is absolutely amazing to me. I always feel so lucky that I have that veterinary hospital to help me and my animals out...they see my chins and all my other animals. They are kind and compassionate and the pricing makes other chin folks jealous. I have to admit that I do go to them for everything with the dogs even though I could give the vaccinations more inexpensively myself or go to a low cost shot clinic because I want them to make more money!

However, I have heard from customers about other vets. Many times they do overcharge for things and should not. They often charge too much for administering medications or anesthesia or other things. You have to shop around to find good veterinarians, especially with small exotics like chinchillas. Smaller clinics often have better vets that do not have to charge extra to pay for partners and investors as larger clinics with more veterinarians often do. You have to search out the dedicated vets that care more about doing a good job than making money for doing as little as possible.

Going for cheeper isn't always best though. I work at a vet clinic and we are mid ranged priced. Most of the cheeper clinics aren't about care. They want to get people in and out and that's it. The higher priced places you are paying for the grand building and having 8 drs on at all times. We are a 1 dr clinic and provide a lot of personal care. There are so many costs in vet care. Oxygin tanks to rent, the same aneths as people use, dumpster cost, insurances, drug inventory, supplies, and so many more. I figured it out with my boss one day, in just heat and electric it costs 65 a day to be open, not including phones. Just for the yearly permit to have a xray machine is 185! It takes a lot just to stay in buisness.

You're right, it isn't about cheap it's about the quality of care. I've noticed that a lot of the smaller practices are a lot less expensive and are much better at forging relationships with customers. My vet has customers that bring all their animals to see him and his wife because they are awesome. :)

We have a huge vet practice in town that is normally recommended for exotics. They have the highest turn over of vets there that I have ever seen anywhere. They're expensive and not one vet there ever knows anything about chinchillas. I've paid them a lot of money and every time except once I have been very disappointed. They have always been my second choice, that's for sure!

It costs a fortune to run a vet clinic...that's for sure! The important thing isn't really what things cost but that the animals get the right care.

If you actually find a vet who KNOWS chinchillas and is on the same wave length as you are they are PRICELESS!

My vet charges a lot but I trust him. I also think in Canada our vet costs are more than a lot of places in the USA. Thankfully, for the rescues my vet is able to cut costs for me so the rescue vet fund doesn't take too big of a hit. He doesn't charge me for revisits and only charges me one visit fee even if I bring in more than one chin. A visit is $75 and revisits are $45 so even that helps a lot!

main thing i noticed... vets in canada can be up to twice the price as vets in the US (depending where you live in the US) ...
believe me $145 is cheap... i use to have a vet that charged $150 just to turn on the machine... and $70 per shot!!! :hair: anddd they didnt know what they were doing even though they act like they know every thing in the world and would talk to me like im stupid and were horrified that i dont give vegetables or yogurt :banghead:

Yes, where you live matters with the price. We in the NJ,east NY,CT and east PA pay a LOT more than most others. And that doesn't mean they REALLY understand the proper vet techniques for chins - most think they do. As was said before a vet that really is knowledgeable about chins and treats you like you know something and will listen to you also is PRICELESS

My exotic vet charges $55.00 for chins, the 2nd, 3rd, etc is $28.00 ea. I think he charges for dogs and cats $45.00 ea. X-rays are $37.50 ea. I do not take my dogs and cats there because there is a place I take them that is closer to me. The exotic vet is about 40 mins where the other vet is only 10 mins away.

Unfortunately exotic care is really expensive. I have yet to find a good insurance policy for my chins. Luckily my dog is fully insured. I have a credit card specifically for vet bills so if/when I take the chins to the vet I just hand it over and hope for the best.

I wish the vets around here in Western NY were cheaper, but I don't think it's possible. It's just what they charge. It's a ton of money for x-rays. Around $400. Vet exams are $60-70 just for a routine exam or to go in because something is wrong. Then the price goes up from there depending on what they do - meds, teeth trimming, etc.

Back