Venting About Cell Phone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

So I just washed Chloe's fleece because I was worried the dust and fur accumulating on it was bothering her (whole other story, but I'm waiting it out to see if it's just my paranoia because it usually is--nothing serious yet). Somehow I put my phone on top of the fleece pile and it went into the washing machine. To make matters worse, I decided to put it through an extra rinse cycle, which I don't usually do.

I just got my phone 4 months ago, so it's too new for me to have accrued a discounted phone upgrade but not new enough for any warranty and new phones don't come cheap. I called ATT on my land line and the woman told me to try the bag of rice thing, though I think if anything will kill a phone, it's gonna be putting it into a washing machine...almost twice. I actually have my old phone since this was the one new phone I did not get out of necessity, it was more of a treat for myself. My old phone is a dinosaur, but better than nothing! On the plus side, I'm pretty sure I have Wholly Cannoli on speed dial on my old phone...

Because of past experiences (lakes, toilets...bad memories) I do have the sense to go view my detailed bills and copy all the numbers I need.

Does anyone else have phones that seem to be attracted to water!?!?

Ouch that sucks. My phones don't seem to ever last to the next upgrade. My husband is the exact opposite, he upgrades because he wants to but he has perfectly functioning phones to put to the side (which I end up using when my phone breaks).

Sorry to hear that your phone went through the wash..did you happen to have insurance on it? I use a blackberry and know that it would cost a lot to replace if anything happened to it and knowing that in the past I've lost, dropped, or got my phone wet I knew that it was something that I needed lol

I've heard taking out the battery for a day or two to dry out and maybe using a hair dryer on low heat on the phone. If that doesn't work, you can maybe buy a cheap, used phone on eBay and use that until you're eligible for a partial upgrade :)).

Good luck!

I got carried down stream with my cellphone in my pocket. If you put it into a ziplock bag and fill the bag with kitty litter or rice, it might help. My fiencee's phone fell into a cup of a water, and he was freaking out because it was an Iphone *rolls eyes* he put into a bag of rice like I told him to in a few hours it was fine.

My daughter's phone was attracted to a leaky water bottle in her backpack. She had a Pantech slider phone, anyway it was super soaked in water and it stayed that way in her backpack for at least 6-8 hours. This happened 1.5 years ago and I had heard about the rice trick, so I googled it and tried it myself and it worked. I took it all apart including the sim card, dried off what I could reach on the phone and left it overnight in a tupperware full of (uncooked) rice. The phone still works to this day and only has one small area in the corner of the screen that never came back. It is now my youngest daughter's cell phone. It doesn't hurt to try the rice trick but I totally feel for you :(.

I dropped my phone in a glass of water a couple weeks back. Did the whole drying thing and then the bag of rice and it didn't work. The phone is still pooping hate at me so I called AT&T and they said my phone is still on a 1 year warranty so I can just get it replaced. I just have to get my contacts and important pictures off the phone and then call their warranty office.

I'm a maid at a hotel and we had a small group of guys who stayed with us for a few months. I noticed that one of them, ALWAYS, had a baggie of uncooked rice in his room. Always. Never didn't anything with it that I could tell.

I ask him about it one day (they were there a lot, so me and some of the other girls knew them pretty well. Wasn't like asking a complete stranger, lol) and he said took it on trips with him in case he dropped his phone in water or it got soaked while working in the rain. It's apparently worked several times for him. =)

I'd give it a try.

Keith's phone vibrated into a bucket of Coolant at work the one day and the rice tricked worked. It took a bit longer than a few hours, but it's still working for the most part perfectly.

I currently have the phone in a bag of rice and it's been in there for almost 20 hours. I'm honestly too afraid of taking it out and trying it because the chances seem soooo very slim.

I'm using my old phone which is sometimes hard to press the buttons and voices don't come in as clear etc. Stephanie--that's a good idea. Or even asking around and seeing if any of my friends have extra phones. At least half my phones have come from my best friend who upgrades hers whenever she can, so she might have one lying around.

All in all, not a big deal but when are they going to come out with waterproof cell phones? That person would make millions!!

Sonim makes a cellphone that's submersible up to 2 metres! there are a few others out there too, but i would expect the price tag would be hefty for an awesome phone that can take water abuse.

Back