Vacuums?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

Can anyone suggest a good vacuum for dealing with fur on carpets? Most of my house is carpet and I am now in dire need of a new vacuum as my Mom was being kind enough to lend us the Kirby she bought off my boyfriend when he was doing sales for them. So now that it's gone I need a vacuum.

Or I'll take even a link to good review site for different vacuums. I feel like I am drowning in information about all these different kinds.

Thank you and Happy Labor Day!

Dyson Animal here, too. I wouldn't have any other vacuum. Love it.

I highly recommend getting a commercial bag vacuum. I have destroyed many, many of the bagless type. The interior of the vacuums get coated with chin dust and the fur gets into everything. That leads to the demise of the motor and it really does clog the filters. Changing the filters and trying to keep them clean so that the vacuum works properly takes up so much time...and it gets messy when changing out everything.

A bag vacuum gives you a big filter bag. The fur and dust usually gets locked into the bag and doesn't get into anything else. Bag vacuums usually last a lot longer and are actually cheaper. Bags are now easy to find online with all sorts of different places...so, people saying "I won't be able to find bags! isn't an excuse.

When I change out my vacuum I take out the entire bag and all the fur and dust and nastiness goes to the trash in the bag and I don't reintroduce the dust into my house when I need to empty it. If you get a bagless, take the canister outside to empty it or you'll get dust in your house even if you don't mean to.

I have a Kirby. I have had it for years and it is a very solid, good vacuum. It's made in America and the local Kirby store helps with any problems I have. So far the only problem is that I have to change out the brush roll every five years or so. I haven't destroyed the motor in my high dust environment! The life of a vacuum before this one was less than a year. In some cases, it was only four to six months. The Kirby will actually pick up hay and not get clogged...although, you really should pick up the hay and not suck it into a carpet vacuum...that's just daring the vacuum to clog!

I would recommend maybe the Oreck, or another full sized commercial vacuum. You could probably find a really nice one used. If you live in a larger town or city, you should visit the vacuum stores. Go to the Oreck store, the Hoover store, maybe even the Electrolux store...any independent vacuum store. They will give you full demonstrations and you can make an informed decision. There is so much more out there than what the big box stores have available AND you want good customer service for a purchase of a vacuum.

I know everyone seems to like the Dysons, but the design, to me, looks unreliable and like it will probably break quickly. That is, for the price. I always think back to the vacuum my parents had for 25 years and that only broke because my brother decided it would be fun to vacuum up all of the pennies he had in a giant jar in his room!

(I love visiting the vacuum sections of stores or the vacuum stores. I take them apart as much as I can to see the design of the vacuums and how they utilize the motors to create air flow. I'm very unimpressed by the Dysons and so many of the other vacuums that are forced on consumers...)

The nice thing about Dyson is that they are built to be clog-less. There is one filter in them, and it is washable. I think its recommended to wash it every 6 months. The canister part itself comes apart into two pieces, and I literally take mine outside and hose it out every few weeks to get any built-up dust out of there. It's like a brand new vacuum. And they do come with 5 year warranties. There is nothing in a Dyson that you have to buy replacement parts for, except maybe the belt. I've had mine for around 4 years and have never had it clog, never had to replace a belt/bag/filter on it.

Having said that, I've owned several of the bag-less vacuums, and they all were junk, even the more expensive one. I've also used bag vacuums and never liked how noisy and bulky they are, not to mention having to change a bag all the time. And forget trying to retrieve something you accidentally sucked up, like a cat toy. With the Dyson you can see everything you suck up right in the canister, and can grab it out of there with no fuss.

Yeah we only use canister vacuums with bags for the chins room. We have two Kenmores that are older than I am and still going pretty strong! I have a worthless bagless for my place in VA and would trade it for the banged up, beaten canisters back home in a heartbeat.

I have the Eureka Smart boss vac that was rated higher/or as high in consumer reports as the dyson and was rated really well for pet fur for like $125- it uses bags and I was skeptical about going back to bags but honestly I like it better. I ordered mine from walmart.com and got 0.99 shipping. Its a bit heavy and it is too powerful for some of my light weight runners but dang it really does a good job on the carpet. Looks brand new after i vaccume.

I have the eureka smart vacc also. I can be heavy at times but works really well. The dysons have come down in price a little so I'll wait another couple of years...maybe it will come down more lol. Over $300 for a vacuum? I just can't convince my husband.

For pet hair, you can't beat the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser (IDK if they still make it). I had one for a month but gave it to my brother because I wanted a bagged vacuum because of the chin dust. I now have a Kennmore direct-drive that has no belts to replace!

I use a really old Shop Vac and it works perfectly, I vacuum everything with it, fur, bedding, dust. I think they're cheap, also.

I had a roommate with a Dyson, it's still going strong six years later, even after all the abuse. I had chins, she had two dogs and three cats.

Now that I have my own house (and no carpet!) I use a 25 gallon industrial shop vac.

I use a shop vac for clean up around and in the cages but it isn't really practical for my whole apartment. It's just a pain to drag around and clean with a small attachment. My dyson vacuums the rest. :))

I have the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser too and I love it. I use a shop vac for around and in my cages but the Bissell does the rest of the house.

Back