Vacuum

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, assuming I get to pick an "expensive gift" this Xmas for myself, I am going to be looking into getting a new vacuum. I already have a shop vac for the big stuff and a cheapie upright, but it's just not cutting it.

I have asthma, 7 chinchillas, 2 ferrets, 2 cats, and a toddler who loves to smoosh cheerios and crackers into the carpet so I need something *awesome*. I was looking into the Dyson Animal, and although it is more pricey than I'd like, generally speaking you get what you pay for... so I may just have to bite the bullet and get it anyways...

But back to my question, does anyone have this vacuum? If so, tell me about it- likes, dislikes, how does it pick up poos, chilla fur, etc.

If you don't have it, what DO you have that works well for you?

I have it, and I LOVE it. I have gone through so many vacuums over the years, but I have had this one since it came out and I have never had any problems with it not working. Defiantly worth the extra money.

I use an Electrolux upright - gets everything except the longest pieces of hay!
Just found a place for bags, just as good, for about a third of the price, too!
I've an extra, almost new, for sale - PM if interested!

I have the Dyson Animal DC 23 and Love it.
Its main compartment and filter are washable which is awesome.
It disconnects in so many place so you can unclog clogs easily.
Today I accidentally sucked up a whole cat toy it was about 2" long it didn't make it to the main compartment but took 30 second to get it out of the hose.

I don't know...I'd go with something more substantial. This isn't a good recommendation because it is REALLY expensive. I have a Kirby, my mother gave it to me when she moved into her new house that has a central vacuum. The Kirby is awesome and I love it...it gets the chin dust out of everything. It will be the last vacuum I ever have because it is metal and will last forever...as long as there is a Kirby service facility I will be able to get it fixed. :)

I don't know about the Dyson's, they just look like something I would destroy. I really USE my vacuum. Any vacuum that I use will be put through the worst conditions ever (chin dust, it is used three times a day at a minimum.) I like the bag vacuums, the reason why is that they get all dust and fur and other stuff and trap it in the bag so I throw it all out. With the bagless types I end up getting it everywhere...and I don't like having to breathe it.

The other brand would be the Oreck vacuums. They really are good with trapping the pollen and allergens and they do a tremendous job on cleaning carpets. If I was looking to spend a few hundred on a vacuum, I would probably buy one of those. They use them in hotels and for other commercial cleaning so they are reliable and will do work very well. They have a bag, too...so that's actually a plus. Or, at least it is a plus here because the vacuum picks up chin fur and dust....

I've got the dyson animal hand held vacuum and it's one of those household items that I cannot live without. You don't have to lug out the big upright or shop vac and I use it ever day to spot clean in and around the cage and on my sofas because of my pug. I've had no issues of it ever clogging up at all.

I don't know...I'd go with something more substantial. This isn't a good recommendation because it is REALLY expensive. I have a Kirby, my mother gave it to me when she moved into her new house that has a central vacuum. The Kirby is awesome and I love it...it gets the chin dust out of everything. It will be the last vacuum I ever have because it is metal and will last forever...as long as there is a Kirby service facility I will be able to get it fixed. :)

I don't know about the Dyson's, they just look like something I would destroy. I really USE my vacuum. Any vacuum that I use will be put through the worst conditions ever (chin dust, it is used three times a day at a minimum.) I like the bag vacuums, the reason why is that they get all dust and fur and other stuff and trap it in the bag so I throw it all out. With the bagless types I end up getting it everywhere...and I don't like having to breathe it.

The other brand would be the Oreck vacuums. They really are good with trapping the pollen and allergens and they do a tremendous job on cleaning carpets. If I was looking to spend a few hundred on a vacuum, I would probably buy one of those. They use them in hotels and for other commercial cleaning so they are reliable and will do work very well. They have a bag, too...so that's actually a plus. Or, at least it is a plus here because the vacuum picks up chin fur and dust....

I'd love to get a Kirby, but unfortunately that is REALLY out of my budget. I mean, Dyson is already pushing it financially...

I know! It is really expensive...I am just super lucky that I was given one. It's been awesome even though it was already several years old when I received it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55730

That is a factory reconditioned Oreck...a lot of people love that vacuum. It's very lightweight, I would love it if the Kirby didn't weigh so much. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recon...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1259346945&sr=1-14

That's a Kirby that has been reconditioned.

Look on Amazon and Ebay for vacuums. Also, you can call around to the specialty vacuum stores and see what they can do for you. Vacuum shopping is fun...call around!

Have you looked at the miele vacuums on Amazon? Ive been stalking their canister vacuums for months.. They come extremely high rated and depending on which model theyre a little cheaper too!

I forgot to say read through all the bad reviews on anything you want to buy. That helps more than the glowingly positive reviews. After you read the bad ones, read the 3 or 4 star ones next. You want to see what the disadvantages of the vacuums happen to be so you know what to look for.

My previous housemates bought the regular yellow Dyson. We chose that over the pet one because it was cheaper and exactly the same without the tools. It is over 3 years old now and has been an awesome vacuum.

It won over in the end because it was so easy to pull it apart and de-clog it. The previous vacuum she had would clog with hay/shavings and was hard to get the clog out. To date it has never clogged on us.

I got my Kirby off of Ebay for $250.00 with all attachments, including the carpet shampooer. You might have to be persistent (watch for those 2 a.m. auctions to snipe) but I was thrilled to get my Kirby for that price and $35.00 for shipping!

Back