Utica, NY?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan

Dot lives forever!
Anyone leave near Utica? Familiar with the area? Is it half decent?

My fiance and I are heading up to the outskirts of Utica to look at several farms for sale....

Thankfully NY is similar to PA and prohibits breed specific legislation, so my doggie will be safe. We won't be going to any of the areas that had BSL before the law came into play :D

I live in Marcy (about 10 min from Utica), and work in Utica. I would not want to live in Utica itself. Then again, I'm not much of a city person. But there are some nice areas around it. Where are the farms you are looking at?

We aren't "city" people either,...one listing is says it's 10 miles south of Utica, the other just says "minutes to Utica".

I wouldn't call Utica a city ;) My wife has family out that way, nice part of the country all but different from what I'm used to.

We aren't "city" people either,...one listing is says it's 10 miles south of Utica, the other just says "minutes to Utica".

10 miles south of Utica would put you in Sauquoit or Waterville maybe. They are both nice areas with good school districts.

Utica itself has some nice things, like museums and theaters, but honestly I don't go there much more than for work. There is a mall right on the edge of Utica and New Hartford. Most of the shopping in the area is right around there. There are several grocery stores, bookstore, and anything else you would need.

Overall, not the most exciting area, but it has anything you would need...and the rest you get online. :)

Anything in particular you are looking for in an area? I've lived here most of my life-just not when I went to college. Happy to answer any questions you have about the area, if I can.

My Fiance is an RN, so something within a reasonable distance to a nicer hospital would be great... Are there any hospitals in the area? Right now he's driving just over an hour, and would really prefer NOT to have to drive that far if we relocate.

How's the area overall? Right now we need to drive 40ish minutes to the nearest decent mall (we're "small town"), so a drive to the mall is no problem at all.

We are really just looking for a quiet area, where are horses and critters will be welcome.

There are St. Lukes, and St. Elizabeth for hospitals. I go to St. Lukes, just for checkups and stuff. I'm really not sure how they are as far as hospitals go. My Aunt is a nurse at one, but I don't really talk to her much. She likes it well enough I think. If those are not good, Syracuse is about 40 minutes away. That is a bit of a drive though.

The mall here is fairly small, but for larger shopping trips we head out to Syracuse, though they really don't have much that we don't anymore. They just put in two plazas within the last 4 years that have a lot of things.

The areas outside of Utica can be nice. I teach some kids in Waterville and anytime I have gone out that way I have really liked it. Lots of farms, quiet, small towns, but not that far away from things if you need it. Most areas outside of Utica are farms and small towns.

If you look in the greater Rochester, NY area you'll find farms along with the larger regional hospital Strong Memorial.

My Fiance is an RN, so something within a reasonable distance to a nicer hospital would be great... Are there any hospitals in the area? Right now he's driving just over an hour, and would really prefer NOT to have to drive that far if we relocate.

Why don't you look in CT? There are lots of farms for sale in Eastern CT and lots of hospitals in the CT/Mass/RI area. :idea:

Back