UTI questions -

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LingLing

The Rat Lady
I adopted out a chinchilla on a trial visit about 1.5 months ago, they just let me know he had a UTI and is being treated now.

What are the signs of a UTI?

I'm trying to find out if it's at all feasible that he had it while he was with me. I never noticed any problems, he was peeing just fine, no odd smells, no aggression or signs of pain, no sensitivity near his nether regions.

I feel terrible, I'm afraid I sent a sick chin home with these sweet people.

Last edited:
Symptoms to watch out for are straining to urinate or only urinating a little at a time, inability to urinate, excessive tiredness or lethargy, redness or hair loss around the genitalia area or on the sides of the legs, dribbling urine, a decrease in appetite, or blood in the urine.

Usually a UTI will show symptoms before a month and a half. Chances are the move put some stress on him and he didn't drink as much as he should've adding to it.

Sometimes breeding females will get UTI's from being in breeding, and females get them more often due to the shorter urethra.

Dawn gave a great list of symptoms.

Thank you for the replies.

Riven, by "Usually a UTI will show symptoms before a month and a half." Do you mean he likely had it long before he was adopted, or..? Sorry, the wording has thrown me off. I asked them what their vet said and they said that he'd had it quite a while.. implying before I adopted him to them I assume. :/

I would have never adopted him out if he'd been showing any kind of health issues in the last several months, much less directly before. He truly had none of those symptoms before he left me, I had him for many months. I feel terrible for him.

Chinchillas are masters at hiding illness, some wont show symptoms of any illness unless on deaths door. We had a well respected breeder who had chins for years and years, one of her chins which she produced died from a bladder stone, she swore he showed no symptoms until he was dead and I believe her since I know her personally, the symptoms of a bladder stone are just about the same as a UTI.

But with a UTI, shouldn't he have shown the issues with urinating at least?

I'm just stumped. And already overwhelmed/in debt with two dog emergency medical bills (three bills, actually) from the last month, before being told his E-vet trip totaled over $600, when I never even know he had been ill. So I'm really keen on learning as much as I can now about keeping his urinary tract happy.

If you use bedding, it may have been hard to see if the chin was peeing and if the chin is one who pees everywhere you may not notice a change in urinary habits, you have to be really in tune with the chin to notice minor symptoms, I am a hawk and watch for everything but that is because I have had so many with so many issues, its not the norm with every pet owner.

Latest posts

Back