Using Copywrite Material without permission/acknowledgement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the internet can a great source of info. I Also believe that the more this happens their are more and more people who are not willing to post original new info. about chinchilla's or new pics.,including myself, on the internet.
Many complain that there is no new info. that is published about chins. But I believe that as long as this blatant rip off of others material without permission continues people are not going to post any new original info. on the web.

See what I don't understand is why keep that knowledge to yourself? Yeah, it sucks when people steal your work.. but wouldn't you rather have the PROPER knowledge being distributed around than something that is blatantly wrong or even dangerous?

I don't know.. I don't think the fear of people stealing your information should stop you from posting good information. It could help a lot of people, animals, etc. At least the right information is being spread around and people are able to access it.

And people don't recognize old members when they use new names... Luke. ;)

Anything in the public domain and anything that is public knowledge need not be asked permission to use nor credited. For example, I can say the Lowe Recessive Whites are not whites but actually beiges, and not have to credit the rancher/scientist/organization who first discovered/published it - unless I am using their words verbatim directly from the publication - as it has become public knowledge.

Everything else - sound bites, photographs, videos, quotes, whole excerpts, etc. - must have permission from the owner to be used in whole or in part by anyone other than the owner. Giving acknowledgment or credit is not legally required in all jurisdictions, though I believe it to be polite.

Copyright laws are in place to protect intellectual property from being exploited, not to keep knowledge from being passed on.

Sorry Mishalaa, didn't mean to confuse anyone. I did post in the Intro. thread and a thread in chit chat about changing my user name so it would be the same on all the boards. But I also added my old user name to my sig. so hopefully their will be no more confussion.
You can post the opinion that the Lowe Recessive White is a beige . But with out the accompanying research ect. it is just a opinion. And in fact you could argue that it is in fact a white of the albino series of mutations.
this tread wasn't started about basic info. It was started because of the unauthorised use of copywrited pics., Art work, And using entire excerpts ,some from on line and some from copyrighted pics and info. contained in books as the one listed in my first post.

In that case, you're absolutely right. Photos, art work, excerpts, etc. are covered by copyright laws and must have permission to re-use.

As an aside, though, I wish you would share more of the information you have. A lot of us who are newer to chinchillas don't have access to the old information published about them as it's out of print - a fair amount of it out of date - and there isn't any new research being done. Personally, I'd like to see MCBA and ECBC funding new research, but until they get around to publishing findings, we have to rely on the ranchers who have been at it for a long time for information.

Latest posts

Back