using chinchilla food for guinea pig

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

hi everyone...today my boyfriend purchased a guinea pig to keep him company since I am leaving in a month to go back home to canada and taking my chinny with me ...he is so heartbroken...they are in separate rooms and have absolutely no contact...

anyway...for those of you that don't know i am currently living in the caribbean where resources for animals are limited to say the least...the only food is the pet store junk that is full of seeds and high fatty treats...i ordered oxbow hay and oxbow pellets from amazon so they should arrive asap...but until then i really dont want to give him the petstore junk...is it possible to supplement him with chinchilla pellets....i use the oxbow chinchilla deluxe...here is the analysis off of the oxbow website for the chinchilla pellet:

Ingredients
Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Limestone, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Cane Molasses, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride

Guarenteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min 16.00%
Crude Fat, min 2.50%
Crude Fiber, min 18.00%, max 23.00%
Moisture, max 10.00%
Calcium, min 0.75%, max 1.25%
Phosphorus, min 0.25%
Salt, min 0.50%, max 1.00%
Vitamin A, IU/KG 20,000
Vitamin D, IU/KG 880
Vitamin E, IU/KG 140
Copper, mg/kg 10

and here is the one for cavies:

Ingredients
Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Limestone, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2- Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Cane Molasses, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein min 18.00%
Crude Protein min 18.00%
Crude Fat min 1.50%
Crude Fiber min 18.00%
Crude Fiber max 23.00%
Moisture max 10.00%
Calcium min 0.60%
Calcium max 1.10%
Phosphorus min 0.25%
Salt min 0.50%
Salt max 1.00%
Vitamin A IU/KG 20,000
Vitamin D IU/KG 880
Vitamin E IU/KG 140
Ascorbic Acid mg/kg 800
Copper mg/kg 33

since the little guy is under 6 months he is suppose to eat an alfafa based pellet, after 6 months timothy based...i was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience doing this...any help is appreciated....thanks :)

I've often heard of people giving the Oxbow chin food to guinea pigs. For the vit C you can also give the Oxbow tablets.

He can have it for now, but he needs guinea pig food. It needs to be Timothy based (this is alfalfa based) and they need a food with a higher Vit. C content. Oxbow's Cavy Cuisine is a timothy based food that is excellent, Cavy Performance is alfalfa based for babies and pregnant moms.

Don't use any drops in his water. I'd also suggest Oxbow's "Daily C" as a treat a couple times a week.

Remember, guinea pigs also should get about a cup of fresh veggies and some fruits every day.

ok great!!! thanks guys!!! my order from amazon should arrive any day now...i ordered the cavy cuisine...and timothy and orchard grass...and the vitamin c treat!!! poor guy has never had any quality food...he went crazy over the chinchilla deluxe last night...he wouldnt stop eating it...and fresh veggies...which he's never had either...poor little bug...i will definitely spoil him!!!

Latest posts

Back