Urine Stains On Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munchkin

My boy chin always/most of the time urinates on the 2nd (and even 3rd) story of his cage. There are always stains on the cage. What's an effective and easy way to get those stains off? thanks!

I use a peroxide/water mix that I let sit on the stain for a few minutes before I scrub it. The peroxide acts as an effervescent that brings up the stain to make it easily removable. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, then scrub and rinse extremely well.
Vinegar and water also work well.

Vinegar will take it off also. It's a great natural cleaner.

Vinegar dissolves urine residue in seconds. I use it to wipe down the cage and to get the urine off the shelves :D

I use vinegar as well. You can make up a spray bottle with it and spray the areas that have the stains...then just wipe it down and rinse with water. :) Sometimes it takes a little soaking to get the mineral deposits from the urine off completely.

:D

I also think half white vinegar and half warm water mixture works. When its on the pan and theres gonna be 3 layers of fleece over it later, i scrub out the pee with clorox bleach wipes. Don't use that usually, only if the chin isn't going to be in contact with it. The shelves i'd never do bleach.

I had a rescue come in with her cage - Her cage was disgusting. It took 4 days to clean the cage. Some of the urine/poop stains were thick. I scaped off most with a knife , then used a paste made of vinegar and baking soda. I put it on the stains, let it stay there for about 5 min. , then use a wire brush and brushed it off. Took a while but most of the stain and smell was off

I use vinegar & water for spot/daily cleaning.
When I clean the entire cage twice a week, I rinse & scrub everything with 1 part bleach & 39 parts water. When using bleach, make sure everything is rinsed well with warm water aftewards, dried completely, and let them sit for 15 minutes or so to let any residual bleach evaporate.

I use peroxide as well. I usually spray it on,..let it foam, then wipe getting the majority of the yuck off. Then I will spray again and use a little brush to work at a stain. Then rinse and dry. I have a cage with a wood floor and with this method have kept the cage sanitary. Once in a while it needs a sanding, but not too often.

Latest posts

Back