Urine staining

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridan

I'm wondering if this is normal staining. She's been getting regular dust baths, so I'm just worried how bad this looks. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 50
It could be normal staining. Does she seem to be wet on her underside quite a bit? She may just be getting urine on her if she sits in dirty shavings or on dirty fleece.

You could use a little cornstarch in her dust and that will help a little with the yellow staining. But, make sure that she's not overly wet all the time. Sometimes that can indicate a urinary tract infection....but I can't really tell from the picture. Is she acting normally for you? Does she appear to be straining during urination?

Hi Susan,

Thanks for weighing in on this. She seems normal, she is active, eating, drinking, playing. She does kind of butt scoot when she pees, but she doesn't seem to be straining. (What does a straining chin look like?) She lets a good amount out at a time. Her urine is on the darker side, so I'm hoping that is why it looks so bad. I do put some cornstarch in her dust to help.

I just want to make sure I don't over or under react to this.

Have you noticed any urine dribbles around the cage? Mine was still very active and playful, but had a wet bottom and was dribbling urine. I took him to the vet and they did an x-ray and he had a bladder stone. Just keep a good eye out for any changes

When they strain you can tell that it is painful for them to urinate. They tend to take a longer time to finish. I've seen the butt scoot with chins many times, that usually isn't straining. She's probably just a dirty little chin!

Haha! That made me laugh, and that's probably the case! I'll love her anyway. :)

is there any way to tell if there is a bladder stone? Lilly is very obvious when she urinates. Kind of pronounced. Her feet are chapped, but they usually are. We use Udder Balm for them when they are bad.

I have been noticing dribbling around the cage and I can smell her urine which is new. The urine staining is what has pushed me to panic. Is Lilly in pain and I am not paying attention? I feel awful!! HELP!!

It normally is pretty obvious when a chin is urinating, they may stretch slightly or take a slightly strange posture as they go. Does she squeak or squeal as she urinates? Some chins have urine that smells much stronger than other chins' urine. Urine staining is not an indication that anything is wrong. How old is Lilly and how long have you had her?

Is it possible that she's been consuming water at a different rate recently? Maybe with the change in weather? A chin's urine can end up being stinkier if it is more concentrated.....or if there is more of it. But, if you are concerned, take the chin to the vet and have her checked out. Sometimes the chins have a very subtle change in behavior that tells us something is wrong. And, sometimes there's nothing at all wrong!

I think I am going to draw a line on her water bottle tonight and keep an eye on her. She is acting normally for her. She doesn't drink as much as my other chin. Maybe there is something to that. I thought that the other chin was just more thirsty. Maybe its Lilly that is off, not Dori.

Thank you. I will keep a vigil and give her a dust/corn starch bath tonight.

We use fleece liners. That's why I'm wondering how her undercarriage became dirty.

I understand about the laundry detergent not helping the odor, but not why she isn't staying clean.

I clean the cages everyday and change their liners at least three times a week. I hate the idea of them walking around in their pee and poo. So they are very well cared for. That's why her bottom surprises me.

I should mention she is a very light homo beige. But her "sister" Dori is a slob of a one year old standard with a very white belly and she is very clean. Dori lacks any cage etiquette; pees wherever, flings poo out regularly. They have separate cages though.

One quick detail I forgot to mention.....Lilly is drinking water. I'm not sure what her intake should be, but she drank more than I expected overnight.

I am hoping that a few dust baths with some corn starch will help her out. Is it possible that she is just a dribbler? Does it always mean something is wrong?

Latest posts

Back