updated pictures of Keika & Mushu and the crazy heat in PA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam.Bam

Well I decided to get a few pics of the new kids yesterday and thought i'd post them up.

They are both doing very well. Keika is a little doll. I call her my princess and she loves it. Mushu is now in with Yoshi (long story.. I will explain in a little) and doing well. I had a feeling they would.. they seem to be a lot alike.

4781796383_f80fb623e0.jpg

4781796801_daf74d7501.jpg

4781796913_668e78fcd8.jpg

Mushu with his short little whiskers.

4782430368_50156e1799.jpg

4781797151_2cfa9f7edc.jpg

So on to why Yoshi and Mushu are together so soon.. as some of you are aware.. with the crazy heat were having lately.. our basement got to record highs at 76 degrees and rising and this was at around 9 after it starts getting dark. The finished section of the basement where everyone (except these 2) is located in has one small typical tiny basement window. I don't believe a window unit would fit but now i'm going to be trying it out this weekend.. and no local stores seem to carry the lower priced portable AC units. I haven't needed anything but the dehumidifier since we moved in the house and the basement is always a good 10 degrees cooler then the rest of the house so i never needed an air conditioner.

I feel so horrible not to have an easier back up plan but I had to break down the FN142's in to 141's and move them up to our master bedroom on the top floor where Mushu and Keika have been. I was recommended that it would be better to break their quarantine early then having an overheating chin, which I completely agree with.

So everyone was moved up stairs. At the same time, I figured i'd cut down on the amount of cages in the room by just putting Mushu and Yoshi together earlier then I planned now that their quarantine has already ended early. Thank god everything went smoothly! It was an instant bond for them and since i sleep in the room, it made it alot easier to keep an eye on them throughout the night for any issues. I woke up this morning and they were both cuddling in the hidey house so day 2 has also been successful.

Earlier today the basement stayed at 77 so the chins will remain in the bedroom until it gets cooler or i can get some sort of AC unit down there. I almost picked up a portable one off craigslist but after talking back and forth and telling her how much i needed it and trying over and over to come get it, her husband sold it today! So i'm back on the hunt and i will be having the fiance see if he can get a window unit in the basement window. I feel like such a horrible mom.

Here are pictures of the temporary conditions. I don't think my trio is very happy about going from a full 142 to the 141 but they definitely like the temp. alot better then what the basement was at!

excuse the tee shirt in the middle of the floor.. there is a vent there and i didn't want bedding to get in the vents.

4782487522_da2249507b.jpg

4782487656_5bd2d2afc9.jpg

4781854833_9ccf593ea0.jpg

4782487932_e96bf89c7c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh look at my girl! :D haha i just love her. well i'm glad they're all in cool air now. i don't know why i didn't think of just moving everyone. and i'm really glad Mushu and Yoshi are bonded so well! yay!

and an update.. the fiance finally picked up a used but pretty much brand new portable AC unit today so we moved all the chins back downstairs last night including Mushu and Keika since theres really no need for being in seperate rooms anymore. Now I have a full FN142 rather then a split one, lol. I'll probably move Keika in the other half of the FN soon.. i'm still a bit scared she's to small but we'll see.

Keika and Mushu are very adorable, and I'm glad you've found an AC! I can sympathize, as I just moved my boys down to the basement when our central air broke. Now it's fixed though and they're back where they belong- to Osker's relief! It was a hectic few days..

Also, it's wonderful they bonded so easily. Requesting snuggle chinpile pics? :)

Ya.. i can't wait until we get central air.. it will be so nice and i'll be sure not to sell the AC units just in case!

lol i haven't caught a snuggle pile of Mushu and Yoshi yet. I did just get pictures of them together tonight though..

4788058483_26b893ff3a.jpg

4788058665_70947f585d.jpg

4788058859_0f58d23048.jpg

4788059407_86006c399f.jpg

my chin-parrot
4788688410_96bb591520.jpg

Well in that third one there is a butt snuggle! (That sort of counts) They're a really pretty pair and I'm jealous. I'm anxious for my boys to get along. Also, I've never actually seen a chin on one of those lava swings Proof!

lol i guess it could count!

my boys have been the easiest to bond together. i did my trio in a day and these boys in a day. I tried to do a girl trio for 2 week and it never got better and i just gave up. I hope my planned girl pair goes well when Keika is old enough.

Oh man...I hope the heat lets up soon. My chins hate it being over 76 degrees, that's when they start to lie on their sides.

Keika is about the perfect name for that little girl. She's so funny! I can see her personality just in the little look on her face. :) It's great to hear that your boys are getting along so well...sometimes everything just works out.

They look so happy together. YAY, for fast bonding! I bet they are loving being back in their room.

Oh man...I hope the heat lets up soon. My chins hate it being over 76 degrees, that's when they start to lie on their sides.

Keika is about the perfect name for that little girl. She's so funny! I can see her personality just in the little look on her face. :) It's great to hear that your boys are getting along so well...sometimes everything just works out.

ya the heat even for me and my fiance is nuts but we can tolerate it. the chins are now back to 73 degrees. When it was at 76 they weren't quite at the laying on their sides stage but they were very inactive. When they were temporarily in the bedroom they didn't have their wheels so once they got back down stairs in the cooler air and had their wheels.. the 3 boys were pretty much fighting over it or all in there at once trying to run, lol.

I know, Keika turned out to be like the perfect name for her. It sounds like a princess name and she sure is one. I put her in the FN last night and she had a blast running around and carrying on in all that space combined with the 73 degree weather. I'm just happy she was still in there this morning so she's big enough not to slip through the bars so she can stay in there.

Back