Unexpected Rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
So I was browsing the Craigslist Pet Section as I frequently do, bad habit I know, when I noticed a posting advertising a FREE pink white female chinchilla. I figured SHE was free, but you had to purchase her cage and supplies with her for an additional fee. Nope, completely free. Not wanting her to become snake food or worse, I got in contact with the owner.

The owner gave me the typical 'it was a gift for my daughter, but she no longer cares for her so we want to find her a new home' story. I ask how old she is, and she tells me shes barely 8 months old. I arranged with the woman to pick her up today. I was not prepared AT all for what I saw when I went to this womans house...

When I first pulled in the driveway I wasn't sure if it was the right house, until I saw the chinchilla sitting in her cage OUTSIDE! I live in Maryland, and if you're not familiar with the weather, we have a VERY hot summer. It was AT LEAST 80+ degrees when I showed up and this poor baby is sitting out right in the sun and god only knows how long she was out there. I get out of the car as quickly as possible to get the chin in my car and in the AC when I notice how disgusting her cage is. This nasty thing looks like it has NEVER been cleaned and it was rusted from the top to the bottom. The litter pan had no bedding what so ever, and there was even a small hole that had rusted completely through. When I asked what kind of bedding she used, she said 'Oh well we usually don't use anything, but you can just throw some newspaper in there if you'd like?' At this point I've had it with this woman and my only concern is getting this poor chinchilla to safety. As I'm loading her supplies(if you can even call this crap supplies) into my car, she comes over and starts talking to me. She tells me how she loves her but her cats are always sticking their paws through and attacking her. She then goes on to tell me how much she 'LOVES' apples, grapes, carrots, raisins, etc. I'm gritting my teeth at this point and just trying to pack her up and get her out of there as quickly as possible. As I'm detaching her water bottle from the cage, I notice the entire bottom of the bottle is settled with dirt or god only knows what else.

I finally say my goodbyes and promise to take good care of her and as I'm about to pull off she comes over and says 'You know shes not your regular chinchilla. Since shes white shes worth a lot more. You could breed her and make TONS of money. Shes already produced 2 litters(but I thought shes only 8 months old?) and I got $300 the first time and $400 the second time. You should really consider it.' I was absolutely SPEECHLESS. I didn't say a word, and pulled out of the driveway.

I now have her home, in a small but CLEAN cage, and shes never been happier. Her poor fur is matted and instead of being white, shes a dingy yellow looking color and her bottom is almost completely black. I have her cage stocked with plenty of fleece, chew stick, food, water, and hay. Is there anything else I should do? I never done a rescue before so any information would be greatly appreciated!

2zp5mqu.jpg

Its hard see because of the lighting, but the cage is nothing but rust! The nice lady did however include a free bell toy and salt wheel! :thumbsup:

65tk79.jpg

Her litter pan: In the TRASH! where it belongs!

o7kt3b.jpg

Poor Baby! Thank God you rescued her. Make sure you keeep her in quarantine from your other animals for 30 days.

Since this isn't an emergency, I moved it to a more appropriate section. Emergencies are when a chin is extremely poor health or has been injured.

Just watch her chin and keep her away from your other chins. Monitor her eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping. Other than that, there's not much more you can do at this point.

Sadly, many of these poor ones have shortened lifespans. Glad she's in good hands. I've been there and it's soo tough not to try to educate these people but your #1 concern is just getting them out.

Yep. Welcome to my world. The worst is when they start crying the crocodile tears and say how much they are going to miss the chinchilla...even though if they loved the chin, why isn't it cared for?

I hope she's more like two years old or older to have had two litters already. Poor little baby. She looks young.

I used to save those cages and pull the shelves out and get them a new pan. Just throw it out...it isn't worth it to save anything on it. :p

Do you have a stethoscope? I always listen to the lungs and heart of all the rescues to see how they sound. I'm not a vet so it isn't for more than knowing that there's no fluid in the lungs and that the heart rate is at least decent. I look them over really well, sometimes I have to leave a dustbath in with them overnight to ensure they get a good start at getting the filth out.

I always start them on a supplement and give them loads of hay. (Judging by the lack of hay in the cage, it looks like she wasn't getting any loose timothy hay, was she?) Then I give them about three days without disturbing them, I just feed them and look them over. After that I start giving them scritches and after a week we start working on having a little playtime in the "restricted zone" that I have for rescues. Keep the chin away from your others, and have separate play areas to avoid anything from being picked up from floors or other surfaces where they have play time.

Put a teaspoon of cornstarch in her bath every time you dust her for maybe two or three weeks. That will help with the yellow dingy fur...the dust will help a lot, too.

How is her breathing? Does it seem to be at a normal rate? Is she eating her new food?

Glad to hear you removed her from that situation. :)

I'm with you though... I do what we call a "smile and nodd" for so many rescues that I have to go pick up... I've heard everything from "this chin likes chocolate" to "the cats love playing with the chin" to "oh you should see him eat a potato chip!" and everything in between.... I never say a word, just smile and nodd and know that the chin will never have to go through any of that again. It always amazes me, when I get in the rescues, how people keep them. Like in your case, with the rusted cage... but for me, I often see the cages where all the plastic is chewed, the shelves are ready to fall off of the cage cause they're chewed so badly, there are holes in the plastic base that are taped with duct tape... and people never seem to think that anything's wrong with any of that! It amazes me. But glad you got her out of that situation.

I once picked up a foster chin FROM a rescue that was left on the porch in the rain. Nothing people do anymore suprises me when it comes to chinchillas.

Post more pictures in a month, I bet she will clean up good!

You are awesome for caring about this baby! I would love to see pics of her after she gets some well deserved TLC!

She looks like such a sweet girl! Thank goodness you were able to help her! It really is sad the way people can treat their animals. Can't wait to see more pictures!

You are amazing for being able to hold your tongue during that ordeal! As I was reading your story, a whole bunch of things that I would have wanted to say ran through my head... Thank goodness for your big heart and know-how. This chinny girl will have the home she deserves now!

As others have said, be sure to QT her for at least 30 days. Be prepared for kits in case that crazy woman had her with a male recently. (Of course THAT makes me wonder if she has other chins still...) And get her to the vet for a wellness exam if you can. I'd start weighing her too. Be ready with some CC in case she stops eating, but I'd imagine once you put GOOD food in front of her with lots of hay and fresh, filtered water she'll think she's finally died and gone to heaven. (Which is what the poor thing may have been wishing for in her old environment!!)

You're a saint. Good job! And congratulations on your new addition!! :)

I dont know how you didnt say anything. I would have blasted this woman!
You did her such a great favour by rescuing her. Im sure this chin will be forever grateful.

I cant believe how cruel people can be.

I hope she recovers nicely

She's so lucky to have you! I would've killed that woman. I don't know how you managed to bite your tongue, but good for you!!!

that poor poor chin, how can someone do that to something so small and innocent. I'm so very happy that she finally found someone that will take care of her properly.

i was wondering if she had litters do you think the guy still has other male chinchillas he used to breed?

Wow. I am glad she is in a better home now. I can't believe what some people will do to their pets that they supposedly 'care for'... it's disgusting.
She is a cutie! :)

Latest posts

Back