Uhm Im not sure what to call this but,help?!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaitlanBee

So Fern,isnt eating much,hasnt ate her hay or drank water for like a day and a half..and im starting to get abit worried she's been pooing soft poo well its not diarrah and its still in pellet form but its just squishy and soft which i think is werid because my other chin had hard poop and i'd just like to know what could be wrong with her so i can do whatever to help her out without having to find a vet and take her to it which will make me spend lots of money when it could just be nothing.

thanks,Cait.
P.S i do really love my chin i just dont have TONS of money to take her to a vet which will make me pay tones of money to get her checked out.

Not to be rude here but...

A chin that doesn't eat or drink probably isn't suffering with just nothing. There is a lot of things that could be wrong and it isn't at all normal for a chin to not eat or drink water.

Soft, squishy droppings ARE diarrhea. It's better that she does have formed droppings because the unformed droppings can be indicative of something much much worse...but she still has diarrhea.

I'm very hesitant to tell you to do some home remedy. That is mostly because the appetite of your chinchilla is not at all normal. I am worried that your chin may have a real issue that requires veterinary care.

I guess we should try to see if there are other symptoms. Is your chinchilla lethargic at all? Is she acting like herself or does she seem off? What have you been feeding her? Have you given her treats lately? Is her posture normal? Does she act like she's in any pain?

Most of the time it doesn't take a lot of money to get a chin in to see a vet. Of course, I am saying that after spending a whole heck of a lot of money for different vet visits over the course of several years. A steep vet bill for me seems to be maybe over $200 or $300 US...most of the time taking a chin in to see the vet runs between $50 and $100 for the simple stuff.

Those symptoms sound pretty dang serious to me. Please take your chin to a vet asap.

Also, she definitely has diarrhea. Go to Petsmart/Petco (I know Petsmart has it), go to the dog health section, and find PET Pectillin. They are usually arranged in alpha order. It's in a white and blue box, it's around ten bucks. Give half an eyedropper twice a day for now. Please, please get her to a vet. Chinchillas are some of the fastest animals to "fall", as it were.

I never recommend self vetting in a situation where the chin is not eating. Stasis chins have loose poo in the early stages and without a diagnosis a treatment such as pet pectillin is not appropriate and could cause more harm-a stool thickener in a stalled digestive tract could lead to impaction. Loose poo with no other symptoms its OK to recommend the pet pectillin, but loose poo when the chin is not eating or drinking means the chin needs a vet ASAP, stasis is deadly and can kill in a short period of time.

Do you have any critical care on hand? you need to get this girl to the vet, indeed. if she hasn't eaten or drank anything you probably want to start handfeeding. Furby stopped eating from a Baytril side effect and very quickly he went from looking "off" to being on the verge of death. Afterwards, I was handfeeding him for a couple months. Luckily he made a full recovery. They really need to have their guts moving otherwise it can result in stasis, as Dawn mentioned. If you don't have critical care, you can probably get it from the vet...

Last edited:
when a animal of any kind (especially a chinchilla) doesnt eat or drink thats a bad sign. take him to the vet asap. money is just paper but a chinchilla is family

I never recommend self vetting in a situation where the chin is not eating. Stasis chins have loose poo in the early stages and without a diagnosis a treatment such as pet pectillin is not appropriate and could cause more harm-a stool thickener in a stalled digestive tract could lead to impaction. Loose poo with no other symptoms its OK to recommend the pet pectillin, but loose poo when the chin is not eating or drinking means the chin needs a vet ASAP, stasis is deadly and can kill in a short period of time.

Thank you for your correction/advice! Sometimes I am dumb.

Back