ugh!!!!! gotta do something different!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric4144

I've noticed from time to time that many of you have those plastic litter pans from super pet. I was thinking about getting one. For some reason Hercules has recently taken to sitting in his urine right after her does his business and now he gets these stains on his hind parts. Being that he is white mosaic it looks really horrible and unhygienic. I wipe it off but of course it doesn't all come off. So I wanted to see what you super pet litter pan users thought of me getting one of these,

http://www.pawtasticpet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PI100501444&PARTNER=gbase

If I can successfully get him to use it and he doesn't try to eat it do you guys think this might help with this problem? It's just gross. Honestly when his hind parts are all stained like that I don't want to hold him without cleaning him up first. That in and of it's self is quite the ordeal. So help us out and save us some stress please!

i go to the dollar store and buy the metal brownie/cake pans, since they can't chew metal AND they are only a dollar! when they get nasty, i can just toss em out.

What's the size of the bar spacing? Personally I would be worried about my chin's legs getting caught in the bars and ending up with broken legs

I've seen these in stores before the bar spacing tends to be tiny much less than even a half an inch. My concern is more along the lines of will he use it and not eat the plastic. I tried this before with my previous chin Puck but he just went where ever he felt like it. The house one corner, food one corner, water one corner toilet one corner thing did not work for him at all. He would even pee in his food dish. With ole Hercules I don't know if he would just go in one spot either he seems to like peeing in a few places but I was wondering if that might would change if I used these and took the shavings out of everywhere else?

There is no guarantee that he will use the litter pan. Most of my chins hardly use theirs. I have one that does most of the time, but they all pee anywhere they want to really.

OK I guess this will go back to the liners then. I have read that the fleece will act as quick and moves the urine from the surface. Will this help if he stands right there in it? I would need three or four liners a week right? The only thing about this solution is I really hate doing laundry. I really do avoid it as much as possible.

Thanks for all yall's replies it has really helped get my wheels turning any further suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

ETA: I could get a wire bottom cage I guess but I would really like to keep my ferret nation.

Last edited:
My chins both use litter pans with their liners. I think if you put something good in the bottom of the litter pan it would suck up the urine so he wouldn't sit in it. Like i use regular litter pans with this stuff called cellsorb in them. It looks kind of like big pellets and when pee hits them it gets clumpy kind of...I dunno hwo to explain it but the urine doesn't just lay there then. It works really good for us. My only advice is to try to see what corner ur chin pees in most and then put the pan over there....thats how we litter trained both of our chins. Hope that kind of helps!

If you add corn starch to your dust, it does wonders in taking out pee stains.
I only use 1 Tbs per 1/2 cup of dust as it plumes something fierce and they seem to sneeze more after wards. But there are some here that bath their chins in straight corn starch.

Oh, just go with a teaspoon. You should see what happens when I dust everyone with just a teaspoon to a half cup of dust. It coats everything it touches. Not that a tablespoon is harmful or anything, it just does get everywhere worse than the regular dust (if that is even possible.) It does seem to be a bit more drying than regular dust, as well...but that's why it works so well.

You are right, TheNobleFight...it is awesome for yellow stains in a chinnie's coat.

I have the same problem with Phoenix and Sedona with the pee stains on their butts. It bugs the crap out of me and I usually wipe them off with a baby wipe but obviously there is still some stains on there. I just bought some instant shampoo from Petsmart today. You just spray it and then wipe it seems to work and you don't have to rinse it off. I can't totally get the stains off but I try to get as much as they will let me.

As far as the liter pan goes, I have a Super Pet plastic liter pan in my FN cage for Phoenix and she uses it occasionally and has not chewed on it at all. She gets lazy and will sit on the very edge of her shelf which is above her liter pan and pee so that it will hit the liter pan but she ends up missing and it gets on the very back of the liter pan and she still pees all over her shelf. I don't really know what she is thinking. :hmm:

Forgot to add this too

I also bought some stuff to clean their cages with. It's by the same company and you just spray it on there and wipe it around then let it air dry or wipe dry. It smells SOOO good and I think it works awesome. I used it for the first time today and it really cleans the plastic pans where Phoenix seems to pee all over the bottom liner and it ends up soaking through to the plastic.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'm definitely going to have to give the cornstarch with the dust a try! Tomorrow is cage cleaning day I guess I'm going to try to have something worked out then. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back